And although the top seaside spots are located in destinations you might expect – Brazil, Sicily and Cuba, for example – two UK beaches also made the cut.
The latter was described as “three miles of heaven” and the former commended for its “lovely beach hut open for refreshments and gifts”.
Baia do Sancho in Fernando de Noronha, Brazil was crowned the best beach in the world overall, followed by Grace Bay Beach in Turks and Caicos and Playa Paraiso in Cayo Largo, Cuba.
The top five is rounded out by Spiaggia dei Conigli in Sicily and Prainhas do Pontal do Atalaia in Arraial do Cabo, Brazil.
One Tripadvisor reviewer said of the top pick, Baia do Sancho: “As you walk through a small trail, you can’t imagine what awaits you. The heavenly view seems like a mirage.”
Tripadvisor’s annual Travellers’ Choice awards cover everything from restaurants and hotels to travel experiences and beaches, with categories broken down further into regions, countries and, for example, types of hotel.
The awards are calculated based on reviews and opinions collected in 2019 from travellers and diners around the world.
The awards take into account the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings specific to each award category.
The 25 best beaches for 2020
- Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Grace Bay Beach, Turks and Caicos
- Playa Paraiso, Cayo Largo, Cuba
- Spiaggia dei Conigli, Sicily
- Prainhas do Pontal do Atalaia, Arraial do Cabo, Brazil
- Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
- Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
- Varadero Beach, Cuba
- Kleftiko Beach, Milos, Cyclades
- Siesta Beach, Siesta Key, Florida
- Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Luskentyre, Isle of Harris, Lewis and Harris, Outer Hebrides
- Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Balearic Islands
- La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
- Saint Pete Beach, Florida
- Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres
- Maho Bay Beach, Cruz Bay, St. John
- Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Woolacombe Beach, Devon, UK
- Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
- Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Islands
- Cala Mariolu, Baunei, Italy
- Balos Lagoon, Kissamos, Greece
- Black Sand Beach, Vik, Iceland
Join our commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies