The seven-mile English beach was ranked sixth best in Europe and 20th in the world, according to TripAdvisor, for its golden sand and views of the Isle of Wight.
The travel platform ranked the top 10 beaches in the world, Europe and the UK by assessing their reviews and ratings.
Luskentyre beach on Scotland's Isle of Harris was ranked second place in the British Isles and 12th in Europe, while St. Brelade’s Bay in Jersey took third place.
Overall, Baia do Sancho in Fernando de Noronha, Brazil, was ranked the best beach in the world for its crystal-clear waters and white sand.
It was followed by Cuba’s Varadero Beach, a 20km stretch of golden sand that forms one of the Caribbean’s largest resorts.
In terms of European beaches, La Concha Beach in San Sebastian, Spain, was ranked top for the second year running.
Hayley Coleman, a spokesperson for TripAdvisor, said: “Time after time, the UK’s beaches hold their own in these awards against those in countries with much warmer climes, proving that sunshine isn’t everything when it comes to the formula for a world-renowned beach.
“Our beaches continue to get the recognition they deserve from global travellers who visit – and love them – year after year, and for that, we should be very proud.”
Top 10 beaches in the world
1. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
2. Varadero Beach, Varadero, Cuba
3. Eagle Beach, Aruba
4. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian, Spain
5. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
6. Clearwater Beach, Florida, United States
7. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Italy
8. Seven Mile Beach, Cayman Islands
9. Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
10. Seven Mile Beach, Negril, Jamaica, Caribbean
Top 10 beaches in Europe
1. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian, Spain
2. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Italy
3. Falesia Beach, Olhos de Agua, Portugal
4. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
5. Balos Beach and Lagoon, Kissamos, Crete, Greece
6. Bournemouth Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset
7. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
8. Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
9. Cala Rossa, Isola di Favignana, Sicily, Italy
10. Playa de Muro Beach, Playa de Muro, Majorca, Spain
Top 10 beaches in the British Isles
1. Bournemouth Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset
2. Luskentyre, Isle of Harris, Scotland
3. St. Brelade’s Bay Beach, St Brelade, Jersey
4. Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, Devon
5. Barafundle Beach, Stackpole, Wales
6. Filey Beach, Yorkshire
7. Rhossili Bay, Rhossili, Wales
8. Gorleston Beach, Norfolk
9. Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall
10. Newborough Beach, Dwyran, Anglesey, Wales
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies