Although many of the top offerings are what you might expect, such as five-star resorts in the Maldives, Costa Rica and Mauritius, one UK hotel also made the cut.
Lawton & Lauriston Court Hotel, based a stone’s throw from the beach in Llandudno, North Wales, came in 13th place overall.
With rooms costing around £100 a night, the unassuming hotel impressed guests with its superior service.
One reviewer noted: “Nothing seemed too much trouble to make our stay memorable.”
Viroth’s Hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia was crowned the best hotel in the world overall, followed by Hanoi La Siesta Hotel & Spa in Hanoi, Vietnam and Tulemar Bungalows & Villas in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica.
The top five is rounded out by Quinta Jardins do Lago in Funchal, Portugal and The Omnia in Zermatt, Switzerland.
One Tripadvisor reviewer described the top pick, Viroth’s, as a “chic, tranquil, green and luxurious oasis” with “friendly, helpful and yet unobtrusive service.”
Tripadvisor’s annual Travellers’ Choice awards cover everything from restaurants and hotels to travel experiences and beaches, with categories broken down further into regions, countries and, for example, types of hotel.
The awards are calculated based on reviews and opinions collected in 2019 from travellers and diners around the world.
The awards take into account the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings specific to each award category.
The 25 best hotels for 2020
- Viroth’s Hotel, Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Hanoi La Siesta Hotel & Spa, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
- Quinta Jardins do Lago, Funchal, Portugal
- The Omnia, Zermatt, Switzerland
- The Upper House, Hong Kong
- Valle D’incanto Midscale Hotel, Gramado, Brazil
- Grand Velas Los Cabos, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
- Constance Prince Maurice, Pointe de Flacq, Mauritius
- Raffles Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Jaya House River Park, Siem Reap, Cambodia
- La Siesta Hoi An Resort & Spa, Hoi An, Vietnam
- Lawton & Lauriston Court Hotel, Llandudno, United Kingdom
- Baros Maldives, Maldives
- The Suites at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta, Indonesia
- JM Marvel Hotel & Spa, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Chandys Windy Woods, Chithirapuram, India
- Ikos Dassia, Dassia, Greece
- Sani Dunes, Sani, Greece
- Maxx Royal Kemer Resort, Kemer, Turkey
- Nayara Gardens Relais & Chateaux, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
- Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Royal Savoy Hotel and Villas, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
- French Quarter Inn, Charleston, South Carolina
- LUX* Belle Mare, Belle Mare, Mauritius
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies