Summer reads 2014: 10 best memoirs
From lives lived through music, sport, poetry and politics, here are the autobiographies to read this summer
It's finally summer, which means holidays and afternoons spent in parks - time when reading material is needed. To inspire your reading list, we have rounded up the best new memoirs to read during the forthcoming warmer months - from the worlds of politics, music, sport, literature and film.
Track the impressive career of Hillary Clinton in Hard Choices; join director John Waters on his colourful roadtrip across America with Carsick; or go back to the Seventies with The Slits' Viv Albertine and learn the truth about the rebellion and wildness of punk.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Those looking for a serious read should try Hillary Clinton’s detailed memoir; anyone after unadulterated escapism should look no further than John Waters’ colourful Carsick. Or if you fancy immersing yourself in a time where rebellion and individuality were paramount, Viv Albertine’s candid autobiography is my pick for the summer.
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 5 Northern Lights in the UK: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve