10 best vegetarian cookbooks
From veggie classics to fresh new ideas for meat-free meals, we cook up a storm to find the most inspiring recipe books for herbivores – and carnivores too
Friday 01 August 2014
Vegetarianism may once have been the chosen lifestyle of hippies and teenagers trying to find themselves, but as we become more health-conscious and adventurous with our cooking, it's becoming a more mainstream choice. And while vegetarians make up only two per cent of the UK population, the stoic meat and two veg model is fast becoming outdated as more people experiment with meat-free Mondays and kale chips.
Luckily, there’s a vast range of talented chefs at hand with a great collection of cookbooks to guide you through, whether you’re a new convert still pining for a good hotdog or meat has never passed your lips in your life.
From old favourites like Leiths Vegetable Bible, to the stylish food-porn of A Modern Way to Eat, here’s top ten cookbooks that prove that vegetarian food can be so much more than meat and two veg, without the meat. Thank goodness.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest Buys
If you’re just starting out as a vegetarian, you can’t go wrong with the simple variety and abundance of mouth-watering recipes in Ottolenghi’s Plenty, but for the seasoned vegetarian looking for new and fresh inspiration, The Green Kitchen is the place to start.
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil