10 best smartphones
With a number of new smartphones on the market, we round up the best around, including some more established models
Wednesday 16 April 2014
The range of premium smartphones available is bewilderingly wide. Should you choose Apple or Android? Budget or budget-busting?
We’ve tested a range to help you decide, from the good-value Motorola Moto G up to the all-singing Samsung Galaxy S5. Note that all but the Yotaphone are available free if you buy them with the right contract – our prices are for the handset on its own.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
The most stylish phones are the Apple iPhone 5s and the HTC One (M8), though if it’s photography you’re interested in, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is unbeatable.
All the phones here have excellent displays, though none better than the Samsung Galaxy S5 which is the most feature-packed handset here. And it’s waterproof, as is the solid and dependable Sony Xperia Z2 which steals the crown for best audio through its noise-cancelling headphones.
Finally, the budget winner is the Motorola Moto G which offers outstanding value.
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Hard line on immigration could cost Tories the election
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'