10 best grass trimmers
Tidy up those hard-to-reach parts of the lawn and tackle stubborn weeds and rough vegetation with these garden helpers.
Tuesday 17 June 2014
Tame your wildnerness or tidy your lawn edges with one of these grass trimmers, otherwise known as strimmers. They work by spinning a plastic line or blade fast enough to cut through grass and weeds and are most commonly for tidying edges and borders after you’ve mowed the lawn and for cutting grass in places you can’t reach with a mower, such as up against walls, fences and trees. They also come in handy for cutting longer grass than a mower can handle or particularly weedy areas.
There are three types of grass trimmers – electric, cordless battery-powered and petrol. Corded ones, such as the Flymo 500E, tend to be the cheapest and they’re easy to use, although the cable means you’ll need a power source nearby. Cordless ones, like the GTECH ST5, mean you have no cable to worry about, but there is limited usage time. Petrol ones, such as the Stihl FS40, have masses of power and are useful for larger gardens and more heavy-duty work, but can be bulky and are sometimes more expensive.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Verdict: If you are a speedy worker, our vote goes to the cordless GTECH ST5. Meanwhile, for bigger gardens and jobs, it’s hard to beat the petrol-fuelled Stihl FS94 C-E.
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory