Whiteout: 10 best ski goggles
If you’re heading for the mountains, make sure you’ve got good eyewear for the slopes – with expert picks by Rupert Taylor of Nonstop Ski & Snowboard
If you’re heading for the slopes this year, make sure you’ve got the right gear. You’ll need goggles to protect your eyes from the elements, help your vision on white-out days and shield your face from icy conditions, too.
"A decent pair of goggles should be comfortable - with lots of thick squidgy foam, have scratch-resistant and anti-fog lenses, fit well with your helmet - and of course come in a colour that compliments your outerwear," says Rupert Taylor of Nonstop Ski & Snowboard, who run instructor courses and coaching camps in western Canada.
He’s helped us round-up the best out there this season for all budgets, from Wed'ze's great value pair for novices to Smith’s all-singing I/O Recon goggles for those who want to get techy on the slopes.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Smith Cascade goggles are a good-value all-rounder that look stylish too. Anyone worried about combining snow sports with bad eyesight should check out Adidas Originals stylish prescription range. And if you’re looking to emulate Sochi medal winners in the snow park, Oakley’s Shaun White Airbrakes are a good place to start.
Nonstop’s tips for good goggle care
- Always use the provided goggle bag when transporting them. Small scratches build up fast, even from soft clothes
- Before lifting your goggles up, wipe your hat or helmet free of snow so that you don't get snow in your goggles
- Try not to leave goggles on your helmet other than when wearing it - they stick out and will get scratched!
- To avoid foggy goggles remember to dry them out properly every evening - hang them, out of their bag, over (not on) the radiator.
- Don't wipe your goggle lens (inside or out) with your glove - you'll scratch them! Use a soft cloth or head inside and dry them out.
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C