Whiteout: 10 best ski goggles
If you’re heading for the mountains, make sure you’ve got good eyewear for the slopes – with expert picks by Rupert Taylor of Nonstop Ski & Snowboard
If you’re heading for the slopes this year, make sure you’ve got the right gear. You’ll need goggles to protect your eyes from the elements, help your vision on white-out days and shield your face from icy conditions, too.
"A decent pair of goggles should be comfortable - with lots of thick squidgy foam, have scratch-resistant and anti-fog lenses, fit well with your helmet - and of course come in a colour that compliments your outerwear," says Rupert Taylor of Nonstop Ski & Snowboard, who run instructor courses and coaching camps in western Canada.
He’s helped us round-up the best out there this season for all budgets, from Wed'ze's great value pair for novices to Smith’s all-singing I/O Recon goggles for those who want to get techy on the slopes.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Smith Cascade goggles are a good-value all-rounder that look stylish too. Anyone worried about combining snow sports with bad eyesight should check out Adidas Originals stylish prescription range. And if you’re looking to emulate Sochi medal winners in the snow park, Oakley’s Shaun White Airbrakes are a good place to start.
Nonstop’s tips for good goggle care
- Always use the provided goggle bag when transporting them. Small scratches build up fast, even from soft clothes
- Before lifting your goggles up, wipe your hat or helmet free of snow so that you don't get snow in your goggles
- Try not to leave goggles on your helmet other than when wearing it - they stick out and will get scratched!
- To avoid foggy goggles remember to dry them out properly every evening - hang them, out of their bag, over (not on) the radiator.
- Don't wipe your goggle lens (inside or out) with your glove - you'll scratch them! Use a soft cloth or head inside and dry them out.
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
G20 summit: David Cameron warns Vladimir Putin that Russia's relationship with the West is at a 'fork in the road' over Ukraine
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
Coalition government has 'shifted money from poorest to better-off' through welfare cuts and tax reductions, study claims
- 1 This is what the one in ten British men who pay for sex need to know
- 2 Lee Evans announces retirement from comedy on The Jonathan Ross Show
- 3 These grandmas smoking weed for the first time are wonderful
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Angelina Jolie confuses everyone with 'ay up me duck' East Midland's greeting to Derby actor Jack O'Connell at awards show