Whiteout: 10 best ski goggles
If you’re heading for the mountains, make sure you’ve got good eyewear for the slopes – with expert picks by Rupert Taylor of Nonstop Ski & Snowboard
If you’re heading for the slopes this year, make sure you’ve got the right gear. You’ll need goggles to protect your eyes from the elements, help your vision on white-out days and shield your face from icy conditions, too.
"A decent pair of goggles should be comfortable - with lots of thick squidgy foam, have scratch-resistant and anti-fog lenses, fit well with your helmet - and of course come in a colour that compliments your outerwear," says Rupert Taylor of Nonstop Ski & Snowboard, who run instructor courses and coaching camps in western Canada.
He’s helped us round-up the best out there this season for all budgets, from Wed'ze's great value pair for novices to Smith’s all-singing I/O Recon goggles for those who want to get techy on the slopes.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Smith Cascade goggles are a good-value all-rounder that look stylish too. Anyone worried about combining snow sports with bad eyesight should check out Adidas Originals stylish prescription range. And if you’re looking to emulate Sochi medal winners in the snow park, Oakley’s Shaun White Airbrakes are a good place to start.
Nonstop’s tips for good goggle care
- Always use the provided goggle bag when transporting them. Small scratches build up fast, even from soft clothes
- Before lifting your goggles up, wipe your hat or helmet free of snow so that you don't get snow in your goggles
- Try not to leave goggles on your helmet other than when wearing it - they stick out and will get scratched!
- To avoid foggy goggles remember to dry them out properly every evening - hang them, out of their bag, over (not on) the radiator.
- Don't wipe your goggle lens (inside or out) with your glove - you'll scratch them! Use a soft cloth or head inside and dry them out.
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Labour Party conference: Ed Balls to set out plan to freeze child benefit to balance books
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 Y-40 Deep Joy: The world's deepest swimming pool
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Syria air strikes: President Obama undergoes Damascene conversion as Isis forces America to change tack
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years