Wanderlust: 10 best Asia travel books
If you’re heading east or want to learn more about the continent, take a guided tour
Asia is a vast, diverse continent; spanning from the mountainous extremes of the Stans down to the tropics of Indonesia. It offers something for every traveller – and armchair explorers with a thirst for knowledge.
Map and travel book specialists Stanfords have selected a variety of guidebooks, histories, travelogues and cookbooks from all corners of the continent. From William Dalrymple’s absorbing Return of a King, telling the tale of the disastrous campaign in Afghanistan, to the Lonely Planet’s South East Asia on a Shoestring – a must for backpackers on budget.
Click the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Verdict: Ignore the fact it’s had the big screen treatment, Eric Lomax’s The Railway Man is a powerful autobiography that shines a light on a difficult period in history. If you want to be inspired to head for a country that’s not on a well-trodden path, pick up Odyssey’s guide to Myanmar. And Charmaine Solomon’s recipes will transport you to the East, without the cost of the plane ticket.
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 4 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 5 New route to Mars could make manned mission much cheaper and easier