The 10 Best Armagnacs
Among French brandies the amber spirit from Gascony is known for its rich flavours. Here's our selection
1. Armagnac Castarède Vintage 1979
A long-on-the-finish eau de vie, which benefits from the addition of colombard grapes along with folle blanche and ugni blanc.
2. Château de Pellehaut Réserve de Gaston
Crisp, light, delicate and fruity is the best way to describe this blend of ugni blanc grapes aged for 20 years and folle blanche aged for 10.
3. Hors d'Age Dupeyron 15-year-old
This 15-year-old doesn't disappoint with its coffee twang and buttery undertone. Sublimely mellow.
4. Château du Tariquet Bas-Armagnac Vieux XO
The ugni blanc-grape-rich drink is aged for between 12 and 15 years in oak barrels to give a subtle, slightly woody armagnac.
5. Clos Martin VSOP 8-year-old
An eight-year-old VSOP that uses only the folle blanche grapes. The result is a heavy armagnac with an earthy flavour.
6. Comte de Lauvia VSOP 8-year-old
Rustic is the best way to describe this brandy, but the main attraction is the price. A good way to toe-dip into the world of armagnac.
7. Janneau 8-year-old
This eight-year-old is all about inexpensive elegance. Its flavour is sophisticated for a bottle in this price range, with vanilla and date flavours strong on the tongue.
8. Bas-Armagnac Francis Darroze 20-year-old
Francis Darroze makes this from the grapes of 30 Gascony estates, ageing it for 20 years to give a smooth, slightly oaky eau-de-vie.
9. Bas-Armagnac Delord 1992
This has an unusual wholemeal quality on the tongue (some even sense hints of tobacco), while on the nose the dark liquid is rich and cinnamony.
10. Marquis de Montesquiou VSOP 8-year-old
A blend from the Montesquiou family that has spent eight years ageing to give a sweet, honeyed (almost too honeyed) drink.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
lifeIt takes year-long dedication to get Selfridges ready for 25 December. And they're already working on plans for 2015...
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences, as judge labels him a 'dangerous sexual predator'
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber announces he's 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: D...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: FCm Travel Solutions: FCm ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K base & uncapped commission & benefits: Flight...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: We would very much like to hear from applicant...