The 10 Best Armagnacs
Among French brandies the amber spirit from Gascony is known for its rich flavours. Here's our selection
1. Armagnac Castarède Vintage 1979
A long-on-the-finish eau de vie, which benefits from the addition of colombard grapes along with folle blanche and ugni blanc.
2. Château de Pellehaut Réserve de Gaston
Crisp, light, delicate and fruity is the best way to describe this blend of ugni blanc grapes aged for 20 years and folle blanche aged for 10.
3. Hors d'Age Dupeyron 15-year-old
This 15-year-old doesn't disappoint with its coffee twang and buttery undertone. Sublimely mellow.
4. Château du Tariquet Bas-Armagnac Vieux XO
The ugni blanc-grape-rich drink is aged for between 12 and 15 years in oak barrels to give a subtle, slightly woody armagnac.
5. Clos Martin VSOP 8-year-old
An eight-year-old VSOP that uses only the folle blanche grapes. The result is a heavy armagnac with an earthy flavour.
6. Comte de Lauvia VSOP 8-year-old
Rustic is the best way to describe this brandy, but the main attraction is the price. A good way to toe-dip into the world of armagnac.
7. Janneau 8-year-old
This eight-year-old is all about inexpensive elegance. Its flavour is sophisticated for a bottle in this price range, with vanilla and date flavours strong on the tongue.
8. Bas-Armagnac Francis Darroze 20-year-old
Francis Darroze makes this from the grapes of 30 Gascony estates, ageing it for 20 years to give a smooth, slightly oaky eau-de-vie.
9. Bas-Armagnac Delord 1992
This has an unusual wholemeal quality on the tongue (some even sense hints of tobacco), while on the nose the dark liquid is rich and cinnamony.
10. Marquis de Montesquiou VSOP 8-year-old
A blend from the Montesquiou family that has spent eight years ageing to give a sweet, honeyed (almost too honeyed) drink.
Life & Style blogs
Plus London's buy-to-let hotspots and a new property portal
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Facial hair: Cat beards and the purrrsuit of excellence
Price of Xbox One may be less than 360 say insiders
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
Xbox One vs PlayStation 4: Why Microsoft's console name game just doesn't add up
The 10 Best salt and pepper sets
- 1 Liam Gallagher slams Daft Punk: 'I could have written Get Lucky in an hour'
- 2 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 3 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Two bailed after arrest over Woolwich attack Twitter comments
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.