The 10 Best Armagnacs
Among French brandies the amber spirit from Gascony is known for its rich flavours. Here's our selection
1. Armagnac Castarède Vintage 1979
A long-on-the-finish eau de vie, which benefits from the addition of colombard grapes along with folle blanche and ugni blanc.
2. Château de Pellehaut Réserve de Gaston
Crisp, light, delicate and fruity is the best way to describe this blend of ugni blanc grapes aged for 20 years and folle blanche aged for 10.
3. Hors d'Age Dupeyron 15-year-old
This 15-year-old doesn't disappoint with its coffee twang and buttery undertone. Sublimely mellow.
4. Château du Tariquet Bas-Armagnac Vieux XO
The ugni blanc-grape-rich drink is aged for between 12 and 15 years in oak barrels to give a subtle, slightly woody armagnac.
5. Clos Martin VSOP 8-year-old
An eight-year-old VSOP that uses only the folle blanche grapes. The result is a heavy armagnac with an earthy flavour.
6. Comte de Lauvia VSOP 8-year-old
Rustic is the best way to describe this brandy, but the main attraction is the price. A good way to toe-dip into the world of armagnac.
7. Janneau 8-year-old
This eight-year-old is all about inexpensive elegance. Its flavour is sophisticated for a bottle in this price range, with vanilla and date flavours strong on the tongue.
8. Bas-Armagnac Francis Darroze 20-year-old
Francis Darroze makes this from the grapes of 30 Gascony estates, ageing it for 20 years to give a smooth, slightly oaky eau-de-vie.
9. Bas-Armagnac Delord 1992
This has an unusual wholemeal quality on the tongue (some even sense hints of tobacco), while on the nose the dark liquid is rich and cinnamony.
10. Marquis de Montesquiou VSOP 8-year-old
A blend from the Montesquiou family that has spent eight years ageing to give a sweet, honeyed (almost too honeyed) drink.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
Stair-climbing: A step change in keeping fit
China overtakes US with world's fastest supercomputer
Europe's largest TV now on sale - a 90-inch, £12,000 giant from Sharp
Persisted heartburn sufferers urged to visit doctor to rule out cancer
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Cruise Ship Seasonal W...