The 10 Best meat and fish boxes
From Saddleback pork to hot-smoked mackerel, cut out the middleman and get the finest foods delivered to your door...
Samuel Muston is deputy editor & food editor of The Independent Magazine. He writes a weekly food column – On the Menu – which appears in The Independent on Friday and i on Monday. And also travel and general features. Follow him on Instagram at @smuston
Sunday 01 July 2012
1. Field and Flower – thrifty beef box
A lot for your money here with four-week hung, grass-fed beef. There are steak strips, stewing steak, eight burgers and mince.
2. Fish for Thought – lobster and shellfish
From the ocean waves off Cornwall comes cooked, cleaned lobsters, six crevettes, two large crabs and a pound of prawns.
3. Farmison – rare breeds
This online supplier has a slant towards rare-breed beasts. Try the pork middle-loin box for a taste of Saddleback and some cracking crackling.
4. Black Mountains Smokery – smoked fish
You pay a lot – but, goodness, what you get. There's salmon smoked just about every way, gravadlax, trout, and dill sauce.
5. Dunwood Farm – half porker
You get a full half Gloucester Old Spot, in two leg joints, 12 chops, stripped belly pork and a vast quantity of sausages.
6. Donald Russell – mini Steaks
£33 , donaldrussell.com
Contains a triumvirate of meats (beef, pork, lamb) cut down into a total of 24 mini steaks. It's good quality stuff, too.
7. Chesil Smokery – fish
This Dorset smokery is famed for its high quality. This box contains two hot-smoked mackerels, seven slices of cold trout and 14 slices of salmon. It's an absolute dream.
8. Osgrow – mixed
Osgrow specialises in exotic meats, so you get water buffalo steak, wild boar sausages, venison sausages and even diced kangaroo.
9. Riverford Organic – quick and easy meat box
This contains lamb, pork, steak, chicken and beef in fridge-friendly quantities (never more than 900g).
10. The Well Hung Meat Company – household staples
You could feed a full household for quite some time with this box. There's joints, chops, steaks and mince, charcuterie and bacon.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
iPhone 6s and 6s Plus battery capacity will be weaker than predecessors, Apple leaks suggest
Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
Amazon Prime Video launches offline viewing, feature Netflix has said is 'never going to happen'
How to discover who your best friends are on WhatsApp - using a tool within the application
- 1 Three-year-old ultra-Orthodox Jewish children told 'the non-Jews' are 'evil' in worksheet produced by London school
- 2 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 3 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 4 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 5 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...