Like this page on Facebook for updates
Sunday 21 September 2008
Love Letters and Live Wires states in an opening caption that the Post Office produced "creative, exciting public information films" in the 1930s. And, unbelievably, it's not exaggerating. Night Mail, with Auden's poem and Britten's music, is the most famous example, but the other seven short films collected here are diverse, delightful and amazingly avant-garde, encompassing documentaries, a Dali-esque animation, a psychedelic op-art calypso, and a bossy fairy's Python- esque lecture on telephone etiquette.
Monday 01 September 2008
Friday 11 July 2008
Japanese animators must get frustrated by the way their work is overshadowed by, and compared to, that of Hayao Miyazaki (of Spirited Away fame).
Sunday 06 July 2008
You get the feeling watching Kung Fu Panda that they came up with the title and the range of toys first, and didn't start thinking about the story until much, much later.
Friday 11 April 2008
Sexual provocateur Catherine Breillat changes genre here with a period tale of amour fou that recalls the scandalous intrigue and heaving bosoms of Les Liaisons Dangereuses.
Thursday 23 November 2006
Sunday 16 April 2006
Tuesday 04 April 2006
Monday 31 October 2005
Saturday 22 October 2005
Tuesday 23 August 2005
Tuesday 10 May 2005
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women