Emotional power raises the album above a simple collection of songs
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Sunday 29 May 2011
Saturday 14 May 2011
Dylan Jones: 'Nina Simone didn't enjoy recording 'Baltimore' but it was one of her strongest albums'
Saturday 02 April 2011
One wonders how big a city has to be, or how small a town, to have a song written about it. By now most US state capitals must have had a song written about them and even the most inconsequential conurbations have been celebrated by alt.country's finest minds.
Friday 01 April 2011
Tuesday 29 March 2011
When he was asked to photograph the great tenor saxophonist Lester Young in New York City in 1958, Herb Snitzer was just a young man with a camera.
Friday 22 October 2010
Sunday 01 August 2010
This Canadian sings lyrically complex songs with a voice that's a cross between Nina Simone at her most world-weary and Devendra Banhart at his least annoying.
Sunday 11 July 2010
You can get these tracks on a compilation CD but this is a facsimile of the original 1969 Canyon LP: a 12-song concept album on the theme of the wronged woman, a role that Duke, a backing singer for Nina Simone, incarnates with extraordinary fidelity (and fidelity is a big issue here, as you'd guess).
Friday 09 July 2010
Saturday 19 June 2010
Friday 04 June 2010
Dancers from the Michael Clark Company make a return visit to London's Barbican after a touring the country with the production come, been and gone.
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent