Nicholas Hoult on Jennifer Lawrence nude hacking 'sex crime': 'It's shocking that things like that happen in the world'

In an interview with Vanity Fair earlier this week, Lawrence said the pictures had been taken and exchanged during her relationship with Hoult

Jenn Selby
Friday 10 October 2014 09:57
Comments
Nicholas Hoult and Jennifer Lawrence together at Comic-Con in 2013
Nicholas Hoult and Jennifer Lawrence together at Comic-Con in 2013

Nicholas Hoult, the former boyfriend and X-Men co-star of Jennifer Lawrence, has addressed the nude photo hacking scandal, which saw a number of indecent images of the actress leak online last month.

In an interview with Vanity Fair earlier this week, Lawrence said the pictures had been taken and exchanged during her relationship with Hoult.

"I was in a loving, healthy, great relationship for four years," she told the publication. "It was long distance, and either your boyfriend is going to look at porn or he’s going to look at you."

During his appearance on Good Day New York to promote new film Young Guns yesterday, Hoult was asked about the 4Chan leak and the images of his ex-girlfriend.

"Speaking of friends, Jennifer Lawrence, she's been making a lot of news lately because of the pictures that were hacked and I think they might have been pictures that were sent to you," the presenter began.

Hoult responded, somewhat uncomfortably, saying: "It's shocking that things like that happen in the world. It's a shame."

Lawrence was one of the first of over 100 celebrities to have been targeted in the scandal.

Numerous photographs of Lawrence were distributed online in September, in what her publicist at the time called "a flagrant violation of privacy," adding that "the authorities have been contacted and will prosecute anyone who posts the stolen photos of Jennifer Lawrence."

The 24-year-old decided not to release a statement over the incident because "every single thing that I tried to write made me cry or get angry".

The still anonymous hackers published the images via online forum 4Chan.

The original list had also included Mary-Kate Olsen and Vanessa Hudgens, as well as Ariana Grande, Jessica Brown Findlay, Mary E Winstead, Mary E Winstead, Cara Delevingne, Kate Bosworth, Selena Gomez, Kate Upton, Kirsten Dunst and Kaley Cuoco.

The FBI and Apple are both conducting investigations into the apparent widespread invasion of personal accounts thought to be connected to the iCloud service.

In September, a second wave of naked images, thought to depict female stars including Kim Kardashian and Rihanna, emerged online.

Earlier this week, Nick Hogan became the first male victim to be targeted.

But, Lawrence said, the incident was more than just stolen images.

"It is not a scandal. It is a sex crime," she said. "It is a sexual violation. It’s disgusting. The law needs to be changed, and we need to change. That’s why these websites are responsible.

"Just the fact that somebody can be sexually exploited and violated, and the first thought that crosses somebody’s mind is to make a profit from it. It’s so beyond me. I just can’t imagine being that detached from humanity. I can’t imagine being that thoughtless and careless and so empty inside."

She said that the onus also lay with anyone who looked at the pictures, who "perpetuated a sexual offense".

"You should cower with shame," she continued. "Even people who I know and love say, 'Oh, yeah, I looked at the pictures.' I don’t want to get mad, but at the same time I’m thinking, I didn’t tell you that you could look at my naked body."

"I don’t care how much money I get for The Hunger Games," she said. "I promise you, anybody given the choice of that kind of money or having to make a phone call to tell your dad that something like that has happened, it’s not worth it."

"Time does heal, you know," she continued on how she's coming to terms with the incident. "I’m not crying about it anymore. I can’t be angry anymore. I can’t have my happiness rest on these people being caught, because they might not be. I need to just find my own peace."

Entertainment lawyer Marty Singer has written to Google threatening to sue the company for $100 million for failing to delete private images of a dozen undisclosed female victims and demanding it pays damages for "knowingly accommodating, facilitating and perpetuating the unlawful conduct" of the 4Chan hackers.

Google has since responded, with a spokesperson telling The Independent: "We've removed tens of thousands of pictures – within hours of the requests being made – and we have closed hundreds of accounts.

"The Internet is used for many good things. Stealing people's private photos is not one of them."

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in