Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested latest: Police search Royal Lodge as King Charles releases statement
William and Kate support King’s statement as former prince detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Police officers are searching properties linked to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor after the former prince was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Mr Mountbatten-Windsor, who turned 66 today, was detained at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on Thursday.
Police launched an investigation into his dealings with the convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein amid claims he shared sensitive information with the disgraced financier while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
It came after a new tranche of emails as part of the so-called Epstein files were released by the US Department of Justice.
Vans carrying police officers arrived at the Royal Lodge residence on Thursday afternoon, where a search of Andrew’s former home is continuing.
In a statement, King Charles expressed “deepest concern” over his brother’s arrest. He added: “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.”
Mr Mountbatten-Windsor has routinely denied any wrongdoing in relation to his connections to Epstein.
King chats to Stella McCartney
The King joked and laughed with fashion designer Stella McCartney at an event launching London Fashion Week held just hours after Andrew was arrested.
She appeared to respond to a question from the King about her father, Beatle Sir Paul McCartney, by saying: "He's great, he's great. You guys need to hang out."
Charles also toured stands showcasing the clothes of fashion designers staging shows during the global event and looked relaxed and at ease throughout.

Art storage van leaves ex-prince's Royal Lodge
A fine-art-transportation company van and several police vehicles have left the grounds of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's former Berkshire home.
Thames Valley Police had been searching the Royal Lodge estate, a few miles south of Windsor castle, since Thursday morning.
At around 4pm, a Gander and White van left Windsor Great Park, which surrounds the Royal Lodge estate.
Gander and White describes itself as "one of the world's leading fine art logistics companies, providing art storage, transport, installation and customs services".
Two large police vans with tinted windows, each carrying several uniformed officers, were also seen leaving.
The Royal Lodge is a Grade II-listed building built originally in the mid-1600s before being developed significantly in the 18th and 19th centuries.
It became royal accommodation in the early 1800s and had been used by Andrew since 2004, until he moved out earlier this month.
It was known the former prince would be moving out of Royal Lodge in the new year, so the development was not thought to be linked to the latest revelations in the Epstein papers.

Recap - What has happened today as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was this morning arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and is in police custody.
He is the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested.
The former prince was taken into custody by Thames Valley Police (TVP) at the Sandringham Estate on what is his 66th birthday, following allegations made against the former prince after the release of millions of pages of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
In response to the arrest of his brother, King Charles said: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
It is understood neither the King nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance of the arrest.
The Prince and Princess of Wales are understood to support the King’s statement.
Searches are currently ongoing at addresses linked to Mr Mountbatten-Windsor, namely those at Sandringham and Royal Lodge on the Windsor Estate.
Andrew has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links.
TVP assistant chief constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
In pictures: Police at Royal Lodge



What is misconduct in public office?
What is misconduct in public office?
- According to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), the offence is defined as “serious wilful abuse or neglect of the power or responsibilities of the public office held”.
- It happens when a public office holder wilfully neglects to perform his or her duty or wilfully misconducts him or herself, to such a degree as to amount to an abuse of the public’s trust in that office.
- The offence technically carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, but in this case that maximum would be extremely unlikely, experts have said.
- In recent years, prison officers have been prosecuted for the offence after having inappropriate relationships with inmates, as well as police officers leaking information.
Mr Mountbatten-Windsor has routinely denied any wrongdoing in relation to his connections to Epstein.
Princess Anne attended a planned visit to a prison in Yorkshire
The Princess Royal attended a planned visit to a West Yorkshire prison on Thursday afternoon.
Two black Range Rovers – one believed to contain Anne – arrived at HMP Leeds at 2.30pm, escorted by police.
About a dozen staff members from nearby charities stood by the road hoping to catch a glimpse of the royal as she drove onto the site.
Kelly Manton, from the West Yorkshire Community Chaplaincy Project Resettlement Service, said she was “sad” to learn of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.
She told reporters: “It’s sad in a way it’s come to this, given the stature and everything of the royal family. He’s a big figure in the UK and in the royal family.
“It’s just a sad situation and I do feel for the royal family that this is happening to them.”
Recap: Thames Valley Police statement in full
A statement said: “Thames Valley Police has opened an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.
“As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2), at approximately 8am, arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
“The man remains in police custody at this time.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
King met with questions about his brother as he attends London engagement
The King was met with questions about his brother while arriving at an engagement in the Strand area of central London, hours after issuing a statement expressing his “deepest concern” over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.
Several people let out cries of “ohh” as the King’s car pulled up.
Wearing a dark suit, Charles stepped out of the car to a mixture of shouts from members of the public crowding the streets.
As the monarch entered the building, questions about Andrew’s arrest were shouted. He did not respond.
Queen Camilla does not respond after being asked about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrest
The Queen did not respond when she was asked about the arrest of her brother-in-law Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor as she left an engagement in Westminster.
As she got into a waiting car outside a lunchtime orchestral concert at Sinfonia Smith Square Hall, she was asked “are you concerned about Andrew’s arrest, your majesty?”
Camilla waved to cameras but did not respond.
More police go through the gates at Royal Lodge while members of the public use the nearby parks
More police officers have gone through the gates of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home as they continue to conduct their search.
Multiple vans carrying police officers arrived at the Royal Lodge residence on Thursday afternoon, where a search of Andrew’s former home is ongoing.
Members of the public, including runners, dog walkers and children on scooters, are still roaming the sprawling parks which surround the residence.
The press are being held at an outer gate beyond Windsor Great Park and are not permitted on the grounds currently.



Bookmark popover
Removed from bookmarks