Morocco Isis terror cell 'had been preparing chemical weapons attack'

The thwarted attack 'reveals a radical change in Daesh tactics', Moroccan official says

Charlotte Beale
Saturday 20 February 2016 16:19
Comments
A guard stands outside Morocco's Central Bureau of Judicial Investigation (BCIJ) in 2015
A guard stands outside Morocco's Central Bureau of Judicial Investigation (BCIJ) in 2015

An Isis cell dismantled in Morocco was planning an attack involving chemical weapons, authorities in the country say.

Ten suspects were arrested in a raid on a safe house on Thursday. They had been planning a suicide attack for the following day, Morocco’s Central Bureau of Judicial Investigations (BCIJ) Director Abdelhak Khiame told a press conference.

Six jars of sulphur-containing chemical fertilizer, which when heated can release a fatally toxic gas, were found during the raid.

Further chemicals which can create the tetanus toxin were recovered too, BCIJ’s risk management member M. Elarji told Huffington Post Maghreb.

The chemicals may have been put in the bombs in order to be disseminated on detonation.

Four machine guns, thirteen tear gas bombs and significant quantities of ammunition were also among the weapons seized, together with an Isis flag.

“They were well equipped to commit a major attack”, Mr Khiame told Moroccan news website Medias 24.

“They wanted to sow psychosis among the population”, he said, adding there may have been, at the lowest estimate, "dozens" of victims.

The raid “reveals a radical change in Daesh tactics”, he told the press conference.

“The weapons seized are from Libya, which confirms that…the terrorist organization positions itself increasingly in the Maghreb".

Significantly, the alleged terrorists were not trained at camps in Iraq and Syria, but “were trained on site in coordination with Daesh, which provided them with the necessary arms”.

Brimstone missile strikes Isis building

It is thought the youngest of the suspects, a 16-year-old boy, had received training for detonating a car suicide bomb.

The alleged leader of the cell is a 35-year-old estate agent from Layounne in north-west Morocco. The ten suspects include a French national and a graduate.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in