Texas shooting: Police arrest suspected gunman who wounded four at Arlington high school

Suspect in Texas shooting has been charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon

Bevan Hurley
Thursday 07 October 2021 02:47
Timberview High School shooting leaves multiple injured

The gunman suspected of shooting several people at a Texas high school on Wednesday has been taken into custody, police say.

Timothy George Simpkins, 18, handed himself into police just after 2pm after the shooting at Timberview High School in Arlington.

Mr Simpkins has been charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Timothy George Simpkins handed himself into police

Three people were taken to hospital after the shooting, two suffering gunshot wounds, and one with minor injuries.

A 15-year-old male was in a critical condition on Wednesday afternoon.

Another male, 25, and a teenage girl were described as being in a good condition. A fourth victim was treated for minor injuries at the scene.

Kevin Kolbye, assistant chief of Arlington Police, told a press conference that Mr Simpkins made contact with detectives through an attorney, and drove himself to a police station.

Mr Kolbye said the weapon thought to be involved in the shooting, a .45 calibre handgun, was recovered from England Parkway, Grand Prairie.

The gun is going to be turned over to The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to run ballistics.

Mr Kolbye revealed police had already been on their way to Timberview High School before the shooting after a teacher activated an alarm at the school.

Mr Simpkins and another student were reportedly involved in a fight before shots were fired.

A law enforcement officer walks in the parking lot of Timberview High School after a shooting inside the school in south Arlington, Texas, Wednesday, Oct. 6, 2021

The suspect fled the school grounds in a 2018 silver Dodge Charger before police arrived.

Armed police later surrounded his family home.

Mr Kolbye also revealed that police resources had been diverted from the manhunt for the suspect after numerous threats of violence were made on social media.

He called on parents to get involved in their children’s social media use, and said those responsible for making the threats would be arrested.

Nerissa Knight, a reporter with the KTLA news station, tweeted a link to a video which shows the moment gunfire erupted at the school.

Ms Knight said she was sent the video from her daughter who attends a school close to Timberview High School which was also placed in lockdown.