The 10 Best self-help books
How to win friends, think more about sex, and get things done
1. How To Think More About Sex By Alain de Botton
De Botton says we need to balance love and desire, adventure and commitment, to find happiness.
2. On the Shortness of Life by Seneca
Head stoic Seneca provides a lucid, eloquent guide to living life with a stiff upper lip and a logical mind.
3. Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffer
Jeffer says we should stop trying to perfect our mental state, accept limited control and learn to live with it, then happiness follows.
4. Getting Things Done by David Allen
The likeable geek says we need to apply a two-minute rule to decisions and operate a "do it, delegate it, defer it, drop it" principle.
5. How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age by Dale Carnegie
The Old English Sheepdog of the self-help cannon – amiable, companionable and dependable.
6. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
This two-million seller is actually not too silly, directing us to live in the moment, thus freeing ourselves from lots of anxiety.
7. Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn
The idea here is to reduce stress and become better all round by using mindful meditation to focus the mind on what is important.
8. Feeling Good by David Burns
This guide to basic cognitive behavioural therapy was shown to be as effective as prescription drugs at improving mood.
9. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
"If you are distressed by anything, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it." Counsel from a Roman Emperor.
10. The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker
Pinker takes the notion of the connectedness of thought and speech, then explores the science and reasoning behind it.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Tears and cheers as David Beckham ends glittering career after helping PSG to final win
- 2 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 David Cameron goes to war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.