The 10 Best self-help books
How to win friends, think more about sex, and get things done
1. How To Think More About Sex By Alain de Botton
De Botton says we need to balance love and desire, adventure and commitment, to find happiness.
2. On the Shortness of Life by Seneca
Head stoic Seneca provides a lucid, eloquent guide to living life with a stiff upper lip and a logical mind.
3. Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffer
Jeffer says we should stop trying to perfect our mental state, accept limited control and learn to live with it, then happiness follows.
4. Getting Things Done by David Allen
The likeable geek says we need to apply a two-minute rule to decisions and operate a "do it, delegate it, defer it, drop it" principle.
5. How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age by Dale Carnegie
The Old English Sheepdog of the self-help cannon – amiable, companionable and dependable.
6. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
This two-million seller is actually not too silly, directing us to live in the moment, thus freeing ourselves from lots of anxiety.
7. Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn
The idea here is to reduce stress and become better all round by using mindful meditation to focus the mind on what is important.
8. Feeling Good by David Burns
This guide to basic cognitive behavioural therapy was shown to be as effective as prescription drugs at improving mood.
9. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
"If you are distressed by anything, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it." Counsel from a Roman Emperor.
10. The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker
Pinker takes the notion of the connectedness of thought and speech, then explores the science and reasoning behind it.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains