The 10 Best self-help books
How to win friends, think more about sex, and get things done
1. How To Think More About Sex By Alain de Botton
De Botton says we need to balance love and desire, adventure and commitment, to find happiness.
2. On the Shortness of Life by Seneca
Head stoic Seneca provides a lucid, eloquent guide to living life with a stiff upper lip and a logical mind.
3. Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffer
Jeffer says we should stop trying to perfect our mental state, accept limited control and learn to live with it, then happiness follows.
4. Getting Things Done by David Allen
The likeable geek says we need to apply a two-minute rule to decisions and operate a "do it, delegate it, defer it, drop it" principle.
5. How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age by Dale Carnegie
The Old English Sheepdog of the self-help cannon – amiable, companionable and dependable.
6. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
This two-million seller is actually not too silly, directing us to live in the moment, thus freeing ourselves from lots of anxiety.
7. Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn
The idea here is to reduce stress and become better all round by using mindful meditation to focus the mind on what is important.
8. Feeling Good by David Burns
This guide to basic cognitive behavioural therapy was shown to be as effective as prescription drugs at improving mood.
9. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
"If you are distressed by anything, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it." Counsel from a Roman Emperor.
10. The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker
Pinker takes the notion of the connectedness of thought and speech, then explores the science and reasoning behind it.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes