Layer up: 9 best hoodies
Keep one of these versatile tops handy to throw on when the sun disappears
Thursday 22 May 2014
Hoodies can be traced back to Medieval Europe – well, when it comes to monks anyway. Fast forward a few hundred years to the 1930s and the first hooded sweatshirt was born in the United States. They were marketed to labourers at that time, who endured freezing temperatures. It was only 40 years later in the 1970s, that the hoodie started really taking off, largely thanks to hip hop culture and high fashion embracing the new clothing – not to mention its famous appearance in the Rocky movie.
By the 1990s, the hoodie had become a symbol of youth, active living and free thinking and although it has since survived a few knocks (associations with chavs and David Cameron’s misguided Hug A Hoodie campaign, among them), today people of all ages and walks of life proudly sport them, ranging from plain zip-ups such as Fat Face’s Orcombe Block Hoodie to White Stuff’s more feminine and detailed Twinkle Twinkle Hoodie.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
For kids, the GAP Arch Logo Hoodie is iconic, good value and washes like a dream. For men, it’s hard to beat the quality and all-age appeal of Superdry’s High Neck Zip Hoodie. Meanwhile, Crew’s GBR Reversible Hoodie is a great option for women, literally providing two for the price of one.
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach