Layer up: 9 best hoodies
Keep one of these versatile tops handy to throw on when the sun disappears
Thursday 22 May 2014
Hoodies can be traced back to Medieval Europe – well, when it comes to monks anyway. Fast forward a few hundred years to the 1930s and the first hooded sweatshirt was born in the United States. They were marketed to labourers at that time, who endured freezing temperatures. It was only 40 years later in the 1970s, that the hoodie started really taking off, largely thanks to hip hop culture and high fashion embracing the new clothing – not to mention its famous appearance in the Rocky movie.
By the 1990s, the hoodie had become a symbol of youth, active living and free thinking and although it has since survived a few knocks (associations with chavs and David Cameron’s misguided Hug A Hoodie campaign, among them), today people of all ages and walks of life proudly sport them, ranging from plain zip-ups such as Fat Face’s Orcombe Block Hoodie to White Stuff’s more feminine and detailed Twinkle Twinkle Hoodie.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
For kids, the GAP Arch Logo Hoodie is iconic, good value and washes like a dream. For men, it’s hard to beat the quality and all-age appeal of Superdry’s High Neck Zip Hoodie. Meanwhile, Crew’s GBR Reversible Hoodie is a great option for women, literally providing two for the price of one.
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'naked pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death