Layer up: 9 best hoodies
Keep one of these versatile tops handy to throw on when the sun disappears
Thursday 22 May 2014
Hoodies can be traced back to Medieval Europe – well, when it comes to monks anyway. Fast forward a few hundred years to the 1930s and the first hooded sweatshirt was born in the United States. They were marketed to labourers at that time, who endured freezing temperatures. It was only 40 years later in the 1970s, that the hoodie started really taking off, largely thanks to hip hop culture and high fashion embracing the new clothing – not to mention its famous appearance in the Rocky movie.
By the 1990s, the hoodie had become a symbol of youth, active living and free thinking and although it has since survived a few knocks (associations with chavs and David Cameron’s misguided Hug A Hoodie campaign, among them), today people of all ages and walks of life proudly sport them, ranging from plain zip-ups such as Fat Face’s Orcombe Block Hoodie to White Stuff’s more feminine and detailed Twinkle Twinkle Hoodie.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
For kids, the GAP Arch Logo Hoodie is iconic, good value and washes like a dream. For men, it’s hard to beat the quality and all-age appeal of Superdry’s High Neck Zip Hoodie. Meanwhile, Crew’s GBR Reversible Hoodie is a great option for women, literally providing two for the price of one.
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
- 5 Kate Moss on the naked Calvin Klein shoot and the obsession that ended her relationship