Liveupdated1656779035

F1 practice LIVE: Canadian Grand Prix updates and times as Max Verstappen goes fastest in FP1

Follow the first practice at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve as the build-up to the Canadian Grand Prix continues

Dan Austin
Saturday 02 July 2022 17:23
Comments
Hamilton A Doubt For Canadian Grand Prix

Follow live F1 coverage as the Canadian Grand Prix weekend kicks off with free practice sessions one and two in Montreal.

The big news of the week is the FIA’s decision to “reduce or eliminate” porpoising on the advice of its medical team - just days after Lewis Hamilton suffered with severe back pain in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Hamilton required assistance to get out of his Mercedes after his car bounced up and down at high speed throughout last Sunday’s race.

Mercedes ran their machines close to the ground in Baku to produce lower downforce. But the move exaggerated the bouncing, and under the FIA’s new technical directive, Mercedes might be required to raise the ride height of their cars which could further slow them down.

At the front of the grid, Max Verstappen will be hoping to extend his lead over chief title rival Charles Leclerc after he took full advantage of the Ferrari driver retiring last weekend with the race victory.

Follow all the latest updates as we build towards this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix:

1656779035

Verstappen’s reaction:

He said out on track: “Q3 can always be a bit of a lottery. We have a good race car in the dry and in the wet.

“It’s not only about the first lap and also about the tyre management but yeah looking forward to tomorrow.”

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 17:23
1656777036

As for Hamilton...

The last time Lewis Hamilton wasn’t on the front row at Silverstone was when he was on row three after a wet qualifying in 2014 in the year he won his second World Championship - but he won the race.

Clutching at straws a little? Perhaps... after a promising first few sessions for Mercedes, Hamilton 5th and Russell 8th is not the outcome Toto Wolff would’ve been looking for.

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 16:50
1656776433

Carlos Sainz takes first career pole position for British Grand Prix

Carlos Sainz edged out Max Verstappen to claim the first pole position of his Formula One career for Sunday’s British Grand Prix.

In the rain at Silverstone, Ferrari’s Sainz excelled to see off world champion Verstappen by just 0.072 seconds, with Charles Leclerc third in the other scarlet car in a thrilling qualifying session.

Sergio Perez took fourth, with Lewis Hamilton a full second back in fifth – one spot ahead of compatriot Lando Norris, who was sixth for McLaren. Hamilton’s Mercedes team-mate George Russell finished eighth.

“Thanks everyone for staying out there in this rain,” said Sainz. “Spaniards struggle with the rain, but you guys are used to it.

“I put together a lap, I did not think it was something special, but it was pole position and that came as a bit of a surprise.

“The pace has been there all weekend, but if I base myself on my practice pace, we should be in a good position to hold on to first.”

Carlos Sainz takes first career pole position for British Grand Prix

Sainz tamed the wet conditions to deny Max Verstappen top spot

Karl Matchett2 July 2022 16:40
1656776078

Sainz on his pole position:

“A pole in the wet always feels good, it’s true I’ve always been competitive in wet conditions but so are the drivers next to me...

“Today was a good example of how tight it was between us, every lap is a fight, the balance in the wet was good, it’s all about the tyres honestly and if I can make the tyres work.”

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 16:34
1656775559

Verstappen on being booed by the crowd:

“It was disappointing I don’t know why they did that. But maybe some of them don’t like me but that’s fine, they all have their own opinions. I don’t care...”

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 16:25
1656775418

Sainz in his post-qualifying press conference:

“Honestly I had no idea where I was going to be. It didn’t feel amazing, I made a few mistakes, but I had a lap on the board but with no battery in the last couple of straights I was convinced it wasn’t going to be enough, but that’s why I was surprised! In these conditions it’s about putting a lap on the board and not about the optimal or best lap of your life.”

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 16:23
1656774591

Charles Leclerc post-Q3: “I’m happy for Carlos, he did a great job today. I didn’t deserve to be on pole but P3 is a good position to be for the race. The pace is there so everything should go well and obviously time management will be a thing too.”

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 16:09
1656774506

Verstappen is notably getting booed by the home crowd, as he is interviewed following his second spot: “Q3 can always be a bit of a lottery. We have a good race car in the dry and in the wet. It’s not only about the first lap and also about the tyre management but yeah looking forward to tomorrow.”

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 16:08
1656774424

Sainz on his first pole - in his 150th race: “It was a good lap but I was struggling a lot in the standing water. Also it was tough in the intermediates but I did a lap which I thought was nothing special but just get it on the board and pole position!

“The pace has been there all weekend apart from FP3 which we’ve corrected from qualifying. We should be in a good position to hold on to it. I will try my best of course!”

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 16:07

8) Russell

9) Zhou

10) Latifi

Kieran Jackson2 July 2022 16:05

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

Already have an account? sign in

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in