Being a freelance worker can be liberating — you choose your own hours, what you'd like to do, as well as set your pay per hour.
However, it also means work is not always guaranteed and can be tough when you need cash to keep coming in to pay your bills.
Dutch online platform for freelance jobs in the Netherlands Hoofdkraan.nl just released a report showing the best cities in the world to work as a freelancer, by looking at 23 factors across 117 cities in total.
The factors include:
Cost of living;
Overall quality of life.
Business Insider took a look at which cities made the top 9 positions in the rankings:
9. Vancouver, Canada — The city is attractive for freelancers due to the high quality of living.
8. Bratislava, Slovakia —It has one of the lowest tax rates out of the all the cities and has a low cost of living, making it a prime place for those who have not got a guaranteed income.
7. Marseille, France —The small city provides all the amenities for a thriving social life but also poses a lot of opportunities for freelancers to work from.
6. Bristol, England — The west England city is easy to get from London, is safe and a lot of places to work from, says Hoofdkraan.nl. It also has a better quality of life and is cheaper than London.
5. New Orleans, US — The city is said to have one of the highest rankings for quality of life and also has fantastic nightlife for locals.
4. Las Palmas, Gran Canaria —Great weather, close to the beach and nature.
3. Seville, Spain — The low cost of living and good weather helps propel the Spanish city to nearly top of the table, since people can get by, for longer, on less money.
2. Miami, US — The coastal city is said to be one of the best for quality of life (hitting 10 in the sub-ranking) as well as having fast internet at 80 MB/s.
1. Lisbon, Portugal — Cheap and fast internet is a staple for anyone working remotely. It is one of the fastest in Europe, plus workers can enjoy being close to the beach in their downtime.
• Here's what it's like to fly first class on Qatar Airways, the airline voted the best in the world
• Animals are much smarter than people realise, scientist says
• 12 subtle signs that your coworkers hate you
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies