Tweet up: 10 best bird houses
As the temperatures dip, the birds need our help. We round-up the most innovative (and occasionally bonkers) feeders and houses for our feathered friends
It’s no longer enough to scatter a handful of stale bread and provide a dish of water when the weather turns icy. Birds these days expect fat balls and specialist seeds, and have houses and feeders to match these extravagant tastes. From the Umbra Bird Café, a box that looks like it could be a gallery for modern art, to a Red Telephone Box feeder for feathered fans of Gilbert Scott, there's a set-up to suit every garden and budget.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
If you want the birds in your garden to tweet to their friends about your fancy bird table, and subtlety isn’t one of your concerns, the Backyard Bird Gazebo Feeder is the one for you. But for those who prefer to save our wildlife one bird at a time, the Eva Solo Mini Bird Feeder is the perfect stylish feeder.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27