Tweet up: 10 best bird houses
As the temperatures dip, the birds need our help. We round-up the most innovative (and occasionally bonkers) feeders and houses for our feathered friends
It’s no longer enough to scatter a handful of stale bread and provide a dish of water when the weather turns icy. Birds these days expect fat balls and specialist seeds, and have houses and feeders to match these extravagant tastes. From the Umbra Bird Café, a box that looks like it could be a gallery for modern art, to a Red Telephone Box feeder for feathered fans of Gilbert Scott, there's a set-up to suit every garden and budget.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
If you want the birds in your garden to tweet to their friends about your fancy bird table, and subtlety isn’t one of your concerns, the Backyard Bird Gazebo Feeder is the one for you. But for those who prefer to save our wildlife one bird at a time, the Eva Solo Mini Bird Feeder is the perfect stylish feeder.
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark