Flip it: 10 best Pancake Day essentials
Be prepared for Shrove Tuesday this year with one of these handy pieces of kitchen equipment
Wednesday 26 February 2014
Shrove Tuesday was originally the last day of enjoying fatty foods before the ritual fasting of Lent, which begins on Ash Wednesday. Pancakes became popular because they were a way to use up all those rich foods such as eggs, milk and sugar. Today, for many, the day’s become a good excuse to make great pancakes.
For the tastiest creations, you’ll need to be prepared, so we’ve found the best products for you to get started. All you will need is the ingredients. Even if your efforts at pancakes are always a flop, we have the solution – the Breville Traditional Crêpe Maker. Meanwhile, more confident crêpe creators will like M&S’s specialist pancake pan.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
The Kenwood kMix Standmixer won’t just make the best batter on earth, it will also be a lasting investment for your kitchen. For something cheaper, Eddington’s Lemon Squeezer is one of the simplest products in our round-up, yet it’s so good at its job that you’ll wonder how you ever got through Pancake Day without it.
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition