Pat McGrath Labs is known for its unique blend of kaleidoscopic colour, dewy bases and premium packaging, with premium prices to match. Masterfully playful and steeped in the sublime, it’s an avant-garde brand that takes beauty to an unrivalled level.
Industry legend and founder Dame Pat McGrath has been conceiving, launching and developing ideas for cosmetic brands for more than 20 years; hers is the genius behind countless catwalk shows, campaigns, adverts and editorial covers.
Known for transcending trends with her creative takes, it’s no surprise that her namesake beauty brand is a dream come true for those that also love to spark creativity with their make-up.
The line is clearly inspired by pop culture and art history, positioning itself as a collection to be inspired by and aspire to simultaneously. It stands out from the crowd thanks to its novel take on everything from colour palettes to technique and artistry, but even those who wouldn’t consider themselves to be aspiring MUAs can find joy and innovation using the line in their own routines. So where to start?
Whether you want to dip your toe into the Pat McGrath Labs waters or are after a full face of the best buys from the edit, here are our top picks to shop now (including those famous gold-lipped lipsticks).
You can trust our independent reviews. We may earn commission from some of the retailers, but we never allow this to influence selections, which are formed from real-world testing and expert advice. This revenue helps to fund journalism across The Independent.
The best Pat McGrath Labs products for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Pat McGrath Labs skin fetish sublime perfection foundation: £61, Patmcgrath.com
- Best concealer – Pat McGrath Labs skin fetish sublime perfection concealer: £25, Patmcgrath.com
- Best eyeshadow palette – Pat McGrath Labs mothership VIII divine rose II eyeshadow palette: £120, Patmcgrath.com
- Best highlighter – Pat McGrath Labs skin fetish highlighter + balm duo: £45, Patmcgrath.com
- Best lipstick – Pat McGrath Labs mattetrance lipstick: £36, Patmcgrath.com
- Best lipstick for staying power – Pat McGrath Labs liquilust legendary wear matte lipstick: £29, Patmcgrath.com