Cheese subscription boxes boomed during lockdown. When restaurants closed down, many artisan cheese makers lost up to 90 per cent of their business overnight and were left with a huge supply of cheese with a limited shelf life.
Many turned to the internet or home delivery to make the best of a bad situation, offering the rest of us the chance to discover good cheese that barely compares to shrink-wrapped supermarket offerings. Some subscription boxes even come with tasting notes, access to online events and suggested accompaniments for the complete experience.
When signing up for a subscription, check how long the initial contract is first as you may prefer to sample one box before committing to a longer term. Some allow you to sign up for a rolling contract and pay as you go each month so you can stop and start to suit your needs.
Consider whether you want to receive a wide range of cheeses each time or have specific preferences, such as all-British produce or organic only. Remember softer cheeses should be eaten first but most will need eating soon after receiving so this may determine when you want to arrange delivery.
We munched our way through a range of cheese boxes to find the ones we thought offered the best value for money and the finest cheese. All prices include delivery unless otherwise stated. Our top picks would all make great presents but are also perfect for discovering new favourites at home.
You can trust our independent reviews. We may earn commission from some of the retailers, but we never allow this to influence selections, which are formed from real-world and expert advice. This revenue helps us to fund journalism across The Independent.
Best cheese subscription boxes for 2021:
- Best overall – The Fine Cheese Co. monthly cheese subscription: From £108 for three months, Finecheese.co.uk
- Best for organic cheese – Abel and Cole monthly cheese club organic: £15.50 per box, Abelandcole.co.uk
- Best for eating later – Cows and Co. artisan cheese lovers club: From £55 for two months, Notonthehighstreet.com
- Best for the fun factor – Macknade cheese experience subscription: From £50 for one month, Macknade.com
- Best for an artisan cheese board – Paxton and Whitfield Paxton's cheese club: From £120 for three months, Paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk
- Best for cheese newbies – The Cheese Geek the jimi: £30 per box, Thecheesegeek.com
- Best for variety – The West Country Cheese Co. monthly cheese club: From £28 per month, Westcountrycheese.co.uk
- Best for British cheeses – The Neal’s Yard dairy subscription: From £83 for three months, Neal’syarddairy.co.uk