The 10 Best torches
A torch that is also an AM/FM radio, mobile phone charger and siren, and can be charged by the sun." />
Shine a light on the autumn gloom – whether you’re hiking, camping or cycling – with these top torches
Thursday 27 September 2012
1. Hand-winding flashlight torch radio
A torch that is also an AM/FM radio, mobile phone charger and siren, and can be charged by the sun.
2. iHandy torch
This free app transforms your Apple device into a super-bright torch. It has 30 effects, including police, reading, strobe, emergency, and best of all, disco.
3. Lifesystems Intensity 80 head torch
An 80 Lumen LED head-mounted torch that can be switched on and off by the wave of your hand.
4. Lighted wallet magnifier
This handy palm-sized magnifier consists of an LED light attached to a 6x magnifying glass.
5. Wind-up lantern
Just 30 seconds of winding will give you 20 minutes of light with this lantern, useful if you are under canvas in the middle of nowhere.
6. Petzl Tikka
Another head torch to suit your hiking and cycling needs, this versatile four LED-light model gives 29 metres of visibility, and has three lighting modes.
7. Solar-powered keyring torch
Small enough to slip in a pocket or on a key chain, this torch stores solar energy for when night falls.
8. Lenser Frogman
This torch can be taken to a depth of 60 metres underwater without loss in light intensity due to its light chip and prism reflector.
9. LED Lenser L6 lightweight torch
The polycarbonate housing on this torch means it weighs half of aluminium and is extremely robust in cold and wet weather.
10. Android Tiny Flashlight
Why not turn your phone into a torch? This app gives a rangy beam and comes with zany "light shows", including a morse code setting.
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Big Bang Theory to get special Star Wars episode with help from Lucasfilm
- 3 Pharrell Williams 'Happy': British Muslims dance to song in video
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Scientists warn we've hit 'peak beard': The more people grow facial hair, the less attractive it is