The past year saw many of our habits change as we stepped back from in-person socialising and stayed home much more often. In particular, we found new and interesting ways to communicate with our loved ones while we could not be with them, from Zoom to the lost art of letter writing.
Speaking of letter writing, it is now cooler than ever to put pen to paper when looking to keep up with friends and family.
While instant messaging and video calls are a must for checking in regularly, writing a letter from time to time is a lovely additional way to stay in touch.
There is something so therapeutic and nostalgic about handwriting a little note to a loved one, whether it’s to say thank you for something or just to catch up with them and let them know you’re thinking of them. And these days, the choices for stationary are broad, whether you’re looking for traditional sets or something more modern.
We’ve tested the very best letter writing sets to determine which are worth the money. As well as appearance, our reviewer made sure to feel the quality of the paper through touch. We also actually put pen to paper to see how smooth and easy each piece was to write on.
We then assessed the price and added extras such as whether they could be personalised, and how many pieces of paper and envelopes could be bought in one set. With that in mind, here are the best eight options for letter writing in our opinion.
You can trust our independent reviews. We may earn commission from some of the retailers, but we never allow this to influence selections, which are formed from real-world and expert advice. This revenue helps us to fund journalism across The Independent.
These are the best letter writing sets for 2021:
- Best overall – Katie Leamon correspondence set, typewriter: £25, Katieleamon.com
- Best for cool designs – Papier gingham days writing paper set: £24.99, Papier.com
- Best for sustainability – The Seed Card Company crossed keys: £19.50, Theseedcardcompany.com
- Best budget buy – The Letter Well love cards: £3.75, Theletterwell.co.uk
- Best standout set – Imogen Owen luxury correspondence set, flamingo: £30, Imogenowens.com
- Best classic option – Smythson bordered correspondence cards: £25, Smythson.com
- Best unique set – Choosing Keeping set of 6 lace postcards and matching envelopes, No. 1: £24, Choosingkeeping.com
- Best for personalisation – The Stationer By Jeeves & Co. autumnal writing paper: £15, Jeevesco.co.uk