With an increasing amount of our lives being lived online and made easier via smartphones, you’d be forgiven for thinking that notebooks are obsolete – quaint objects that belong to yesteryear.
But the truth is that the power of putting pen to paper – literally – and writing down anything from lists and memos to journals and grand ideas is still hugely popular and important for so many of us.
Studies show that it’s relaxing and therapeutic to write ideas down on paper. When making lists or intentions, you’re more likely to achieve them if you jot them down.
Aside from all this, a brand-new notebook – all clean and unblemished – holds so much promise, and the mere look of it is a sheer delight for stationery aficionados (guilty).
In this round-up, we wanted to explore the best notebooks on the market – those that were lovely to look at, easy to use and of beautiful quality.
How we tested
The most important thing was quality, so we needed to be sure that each notebook was well made. The paper needed to be, if not thick, then strong, so that it didn’t tear easily or allow ink to bleed through onto the following pages. We also looked at the binding and cover – was it sturdy and durable?
Each notebook was put through its paces where the physical act of writing was concerned – after all, there’s little point of a notebook in which it’s impossible to write. With that in mind, we always welcomed books that had a lie-flat spine.
We wanted to see, where possible, a commitment to the environment, too, and were pleased to include products that used recycled paper or other green materials. It was also important that we tested a range of notebooks to suit all budgets.
The best notebooks for 2022 are:
- Best for creative types – Hoxton a notebook for bad ideas: £15, Hoxtonminipress.com
- Best luxury buy – Smythson Panama notebook: £50, Smythson.com
- Best for journaling – Papier good things take time: £23, Papier.com
- Best eco-friendly buy – Elvis & Kresse firehose-bound notebook: £60, Buymeonce.com
- Best gift – Noble Macmillan clever clogs journal: £30, Noblemacmillan.com
- Best lie-flat design – Moleskine Pinocchio notebook: £23.99, Moleskine.com
- Best set – Prezzybox floral initial notebook set: £14.99, Prezzybox.com
- Best budget buy – Ryman personalised initials and name notebook: £9.99, Ryman.co.uk