Christmas gifts are all about spreading love and happiness.
Of course, the most eco-friendly gifts would be to write lovely notes or poems, bake cakes or give the gift of our time… but now we’re largely out of lockdown, extra hours are not as abundant as they once were. And we’re not complaining!
Still, you’re likely reading this round-up because, ideally, you want to give something meaningful. Well, we’ve found the presents and gift experiences that will not only bring joy to the person receiving them but also, in many cases, will give back to the community or people making them.
How we tested
To come up with this list, a primary consideration was that sustainability and ethics had to be central to the business, not just in the product we listed.
Then we looked for gifts for everyone from babies to grandparents and had samples sent out for the relevant ages to test. We especially were looking for gifts with a difference – and that would make a difference – and considered options for all budgets.
The best eco-friendly and ethical gifts for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Migrateful online cookery classes: From £20, Migrateful.org
- Best for family fun – Farm safari and overnight bundle for two: £180, Eastbrookexperiences.com
- Best for wine lover – Vintage Roots gift box: £30, Vintageroots.co.uk
- Best Christmas cocktails – Mermaid gin: £62.50, Isleofwightdistillery.com
- Best for tea lovers – Kib Tea the regenerative box: £35, Kibtea.com
- Best for coffee lovers – Redemption Roasters coffee: From £34.20, Redemptionroasters.com
- Best for book lovers – Hand Me Down Book Club book bundles subscription: From £9.99 per month, Hmdbookclub.co.uk
- Best Christmas jumper – Notjust. David Attenbrrrr jumper: £34.99, Notjustclothing.co.uk
- Best slippers – Vegan Reclaimed fur open slippers: £69, Birdsong.london
- Best calendar – The Landworkers’ Alliance 2022 calendar, ‘Working The Land, Cooling The Planet’: £16, Landworkersalliance.org.uk
- Best statement jewellery – Ulumbi sunburst earring hoops: £100, Yalajewellery.com
- Best accessory – Wrap-around cufflinks: £40, Elvisandkresse.com
- Best gift for the home – Potr 10cm plant pot: £14, Potrpots.com
- Best for young kids – Alphabet flashcards: £18.99, Littleomo.com
- Best for older kids – Mud & Bloom children’s gardening and nature crafts subscription box, three months: £41.85, Mudandbloom.com
- Best for pets – Green & Wild’s Santa sack for dogs: £19.95, Antlerdogchews.co.uk