It’s hard to find anything not to like about this Hotel Chocolat egg. It comes in a stylish matte tin and it looks premium in the line up among most other eggs. Inside are two halves of a medium-sized egg. One half is “cheesecake-inspired chocolate” – which is chocolate with marscapone-flavoured salted caramel running through it. This side is tangy and sweet at the same time, and we found it hard to resist. If you like that cheesecake taste, this is going to hit the spot for you.
In our hunt for the best Easter eggs this year, we took on the tricky job of taste testing a range of delicous chocolate treats – move over Easter Bunny, there’s a new expert in town.
Easter falls on 9 April this year. Whether you celebrate with a big family get-together, roast lamb and piles of hot cross buns, or with children screaming and ripping the house apart while searching for chocolate – Easter eggs will probably figure in your Easter Sunday celebrations.
These chocolate treats come in all sizes, flavours, colours... you name it, you can buy it. Vegan Easter eggs, free-from eggs – there’s such a fab selection, whatever your dietary requirements and taste preferences.
Brands have gone all out, looking for new and better ways to reinvent the Easter egg. Think truffles, layered eggs, extra-thick eggs, hidden treats and the finest ingredients. These treats are also moving to become more eco-friendly, with many Easter eggs now coming in plastic- and tin-foil-free packaging.
You could spend hours strolling the aisles in the big supermarkets, agonising over which Easter egg to buy, but why bother when this article does all the heavy lifting for you? We’ve got the ultimate guide to Easter eggs right here. From the high-end, lavish ones to the supermarket favourites, and from oversized eggs to modest delights, we’ve rounded-up our top picks.
How we tested
We spent a month testing Easter eggs. Our house looked like the Easter bunny’s warren, filled in every corner with chocolate eggs. We had an ever-growing band of keen volunteers who helped us chomp through mountains of Easter chocolate from the nation’s best-loved brands and wallet-friendly supermarkets.
We assessed packaging, looks, the thickness of the chocolate and any ‘egg-stras’ – truffles, chocolate bars, etc. Here are the best Easter eggs we thought were egg-cellent.
The best Easter eggs for 2023 are:
- Best Easter egg overall – Hotel Chocolat patisserie extra-thick egg: £30, Hotelchocolat.com
- Best giant Easter egg – Lindt Lindor gold assorted Easter egg: £15, Lindt.co.uk
- Best luxury Easter egg – Venchi baciodidama chocolate egg: £70, Venchi.com
- Best kids’ Easter egg – Sainsbury’s rainbow speckled egg: £4.50, Sainsburys.co.uk
- Best cheap Easter egg – Cadbury Dairy Milk Freddo Easter egg: £1.25, Sainsburys.co.uk
- Best classic chocolate Easter egg – Cadbury Dairy Milk chunk giant egg: £10, Sainsburys.co.uk
- Best vegan Easter egg – Happi oat milk salted caramel chocolate egg: £6.40, Waitrose.com