We’ve all struggled to drop off at night from time to time, but for some of us sleeplessness is a recurring and very real problem.
Whether it’s a busy mind keeping you up, waking during the night, or just poor quality sleep, sleep deprivation is no joke. Research shows that a regular lack of sleep can put us at risk of a whole host of conditions – from high blood pressure and immune deficiencies to mental health issues – and proper rest is essential for good health.
So what can we do to help ourselves get some shut-eye? Experts agree that a good sleep routine is useful; give yourself a break from screens, ensure your room is a cool, calm space and try to wind down before bed. Avoiding caffeine is a no-brainer, but the good news is a cup of something more relaxing could soon have you on your way to the land of nod.
Sleep teas are imbued with healthy herbals selected for their calming qualities: the daisy-like chamomile flower is a natural sedative, lavender supports relaxation and is thought to enhance sleep quality, while other botanicals such as valerian may reduce the time taken to fall asleep.
When looking for a sleep tea, think about flavours you usually enjoy. Chamomile is a generally unassuming slightly sweet and mellow flavour and is found in the majority of sleep teas, but if you’re not a fan there are plenty of blends with other helpful ingredients to help disguise the flowery flavour. Consider too whether you have the equipment on hand for a loose leaf tea (you’ll need a strainer or an infuser pot) or if you would rather stick with bagged teas which tend to be more convenient but not as flavoursome.
How we tested
We tested over 25 varieties of sleep tea using a range of ingredients and assessed them on their ease of use, quality of ingredients, taste and efficacy. Here are the top nine sleep teas we think will give you the sweetest dreams.
The best sleepy teas for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Pukka night time tea: £2.99 for 20, Hollandandbarrett.com
- Best fruity sleep tea – Vitabiotics tea+ sleep: £3.95 for 14, Vitabiotics.com
- Best warming tea – Clipper organic sleep easy infusion: £1.45 for 20, Clipper-teas.com
- Best chamomile tea – Mr Ames chamomile: £3.95 for 20, Mramestea.com
- Best tasting sleep tea – Kaytea sleeping beauty: £8.99 for 50g, Kaytea.co.uk
- Best CBD blend – Papilio elderberry, rosehip, hibiscus and hemp body soothing CBD tea: £9.95 for 10, Papilioproducts.shop
- Best chamomile blend – Teapigs calm: £4.15 for 15, Amazon.co.uk
- Best functional blend – Lily Canetty-Clarke sleep tea: £8.50 for 50g, Lilycanettyclarke.com
- Best floral blend – T2 sleep tight loose leaf icon tin: £12 for 50g, T2tea.com