This bamboo wide-toothed comb is snagless when detangling afro hair from root to tip, on both wet and dry hair. The thick and blunt wide teeth of the comb are designed to imitate finger detangling, while the smooth texture of the bamboo creates a seamless combing experience to reduce hair breakage. Together, these distinct features make it equipped to effectively sink into thick hair roots and detangle without tearing tresses.
Afro hair is full of coils that need special care in order for them to be effectively detangled. So finding the right tools is key to maintaining these types of tresses.
Black hair textures are vastly diverse and range from curly to coily textures. Oprah’s stylist, Andre Walker, created The Hair Chart in the 1990s, and it is now often used in the Black hair community to help identify different hair textures. The Hair Chart depicts hair textures from 1a-4c, with 1a being the straightest and 4c being the most coily, which leans more towards afro hair.
With the rise of Black haircare brands over the past few years, there’s been an increasing number of hair tools better designed to care for afro hair. Along with more combs and brushes on the market, there has also been an increased focus on sustainable materials.
Our tester has herself struggled to find a plastic-free hair tool to style and detangle the edges of her hair. This led to the creation of her own hair brand, LaidLocs, which offers a bamboo edge-styling tool as a plastic-free hair tool solution.
How we tested
Each of the hair tools was tested on tangled afro hair. Before using the hair tool, we applied a moisturising product with an easy slip. This is a common method used for detangling afro hair, due to the lack of natural oil (sebum) that this hair texture has compared with straighter hair types. After testing 12 detangling hair tools, these are the six we found to be best for detangling afro-textured hair.
The best detangling tools for afro hair in 2022 are:
- Best overall afro hair detangling tool – Healthy Hair Studio anti-static seamless comb: £10.50, Healthyhairstudio.co.uk
- Best afro hair detangling tool for wet hair – EZ detangler brush: £13.50, Naturalisticproducts.co.uk
- Best eco-friendly afro hair detangling brush – ReGrowz bamboo hair brush: £7.99, Regrowz.com
- Best afro hair detangling tool with ergonomic handle – Purely Natural By Anastasia sandalwood long wide comb: £30, Purelynaturalbyanastasia.co.uk
- Best afro hair detangling brush with easy-to-clean bristles – Cantu sturdy detangling brush: £8, Boots.com
- Best handle-less afro hair detangling comb – Charlotte Mensah duafe wide-tooth comb: £40, Charlottemensah.com