Planty offers ready-made meals that are 100 per cent plant-based. It’s the perfect choice for anyone who wants to enjoy nutritious food without waiting around. There is no need to spend time meal prepping with this healthy food box, as the meals come pre-frozen. You just need to select your ideal menu and then pop them in the microwave or oven to heat up when you’re ready to eat. There are plenty of choices when it comes to the dishes, and you can choose which ones are included, so there’s no danger you’ll be sent something you won’t like. We tested various dishes, including two of our favourites, “not-a-chicken tikka masala” and “mac no cheese”.
Healthy food boxes can be an absolute lifesaver for anyone who wants to eat well but doesn’t have the time or inclination to spend hours slaving over a hot stove.
After the overindulgence of Christmas, we all look forward to getting back to healthy eating. Eating well can positively impact our body and mental health, from increased energy levels to bright, clear skin. But meal planning, buying the ingredients, working out the ideal portion size and then cooking it all means it’s not always easy to put your plan to eat healthy into practice.
Thankfully, there are plenty of healthy meal boxes on the market these days, and they can make reaching your goals in 2023 incredibly easy. There are food boxes for all different dietary requirements and tastes, too.
They can also represent excellent value – as the cost of living rises, healthy food boxes can be a great way to help manage your budget. Since everything you need for a delicious, healthy meal is all in one box, it allows you to stay in budget with ease. Plus, since food delivery boxes are delivered directly to your door, you’ll also avoid those last-minute trips to the supermarket, which usually result in the temptation to stray off plan and make impulse purchases.
We’ve put together a list of our favourite healthy food boxes, from those perfect for anyone who loves to cook and needs a menu plan and the ingredients delivered direct to their door to pre-packaged fresh and frozen meals that just need to be heated up.
How we tested
We reached out to a variety of different companies that make healthy food boxes and asked them to send us a typical sample. We looked at everything from how quick it was delivered, how well it was packaged, if the packaging was recyclable and eco-friendly, the variety of dishes, how easy they were to prepare and, of course, how good they tasted.
The best healthy food boxes for 2023 are:
- Best overall healthy food box – Planty food box: From £5.65 per meal, Planty.uk
- Best healthy food box for those who love to cook – HelloFresh food box: From £28.49, Hellofresh.co.uk
- Best healthy food box for a special occasion – My Supper Hero food box: From £25, Mysupperhero.com
- Best healthy food box for bespoke health – Field Doctor food box: From £6.79 per meal, Fielddoctor.co.uk
- Best healthy food box for curated meal plans – FoodHak food box: From £6.25 per meal, Foodhak.com
- Best zero waste healthy food box – Dovebrook Kitchen food box: From £6.50, Dovebrook.com
- Best healthy food box for weight loss – MuscleFood weight loss box: £49.99, Musclefood.com
- Best healthy food box for veggies – Oddbox food box: From £10.99, Oddbox.co.uk