Coats are coming out, the nights are drawing in and we’ve got a hankering for pumpkin spice latte. All this can only mean one thing: autumn is upon us.
The “season of mists and mellow fruitfulness” can be magical, but it can also be cold, dank and dreary in Britain. Candles, with their warm, sepia glow and seasonal fragrances, can be the perfect antidote to the short gloomy days.
And there sure are hundreds of them around. To make your scented candle shopping easier, we gathered and tested a range that we hope will light up your life and fill the room with fragrant joy.
Our selection includes candles with typically autumnal scents and those with a fresh take on the aromas of the season. We’ve featured those with traditional cotton wicks and others with wooden wicks, while some are handcrafted and others not. We also sourced from well-known brands, smaller independents and those companies that are new on the scene.
How we tested
We lit and burned each candle for a minimum of two hours firstly, as is always advised to ensure even melting, noting the potency and notes of the fragrance. We extinguished them and checked for any lingering scent in between burns. Then we relit several times – remembering to keep wicks trimmed to about 3mm – to check that the scents endured for the entirety of each candle.
The best autumn candles for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Skkienn pear.fig: £25, Skkienn.com
- Best wooden wick candle – Witchy the high priestess candle: £26, Witchyhq.com
- Best essential oils candle – JOGB mojo sensual candle: £65, Jogbliving.com
- Best pillar candle – St Eval oak, folk scented pillar candle: £14, St-eval.com
- Best delicate fragrance – The White Company autumn signature candle: £20, Thewhitecompany.com
- Best luxury buy – Perfumer H pepper: £135, Perfumerh.com
- Best Scandi candle – Skandinavisk hygge scented candle: £35, Skandinavisk.com
- Best aromatherapy candle – Scentered escape aromatherapy candle: £27.50, Amazon.co.uk
- Best small-batch candle – Soap Daze canyon soy wax candle: £19, Soapdaze.com
- Best rich aroma – A House Like This fyre: £18, Ahouselikethis.com
- Best floral scent – DS & Durga Rama won’t you please come home scented candle: £60, Osmology.co