From big name interior brands to artisanal printmakers, today’s wallpaper designs continue to impress with seemingly boundless creativity – we really are spoiled for choice with a huge range of papers on offer, celebrating pattern and colour.
As diverse in design as wallpapers are, one overarching trend we’ve noticed is escapism – and that’s little wonder given the effects of the last few years. But escapism can come in many forms, whether that’s a contemporary abstract design that jumps off the wall, or a more literal travel-inspired illustration, taking us straight to the sunny Mediterranean on the dreariest of winter days.
Whether you’re after a restrained splash of colour on a chimney breast, or you’re looking to pretty up your entire living room with floor-to-ceiling florals, there’s fun to be had in choosing your perfect paper.
It’s wise to get hold of wallpaper samples you can try out in situ; these are usually available for small change. And if you’re going the DIY route, consider user-friendly papers with a “paste the wall” hanging method – there’ll be less mess all round.
How we tested
We trialled our top 10 wallpapers on a test wall, looking for great design, big impact coverage, ease of hanging, and durability.
The best wallpapers for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Oh So Daisy she’s a wildflower wallpaper in brights on vintage cream: £48, Lusthome.com
- Best eco-friendly paper – Bobbi Beck float abstract floral wallpaper: £85, Bobbibeck.com
- Best winter florals – Kristjana S Williams Kirsuberja vines wallpaper, aubergine: £225, Kristjanaswilliams.com
- Best colour combination – Ella Doran magic garden wallpaper: £150, Elladoran.co.uk
- Best for kids’ rooms – Divine Savages extinctopia glacier blue wallpaper: £150, Divinesavages.com
- Best surface print wallpaper – Susie Atkinson design dipley wallpaper, green: £90, Susieatkinson.com
- Best for the home bar – Bobo 1325 frenemy midsummer night wallpaper: £180, Bobo1325.com
- Best for a slice of the Mediterranean – Archive by Sanderson fruit wallpaper, tangled green: £150, Sandersondesigngroup.com
- Best for a spring-fresh look – Elizabeth Ockford Kamala wallpaper, grey: £145, Elizabethockford.com
- Best for art lovers – Made of Matter Matisse Laurel wallpaper: £62 per sqm, Madeofmatter.co.uk