A clean home is essential, but at what cost to the planet? For too long, too many of us have used products with harsh and toxic chemicals that can be harmful – to humans, wildlife and the environment.
With spray cleaners such as furniture polish, you could inadvertently contribute to air pollution, not to mention breath in toxins.
That washing up liquid we pour down the drain when doing the dishes could cause chemicals to enter waterways and harm aquatic life. And then there is that mountain of plastic waste created when you have gone through your 100th bottle of window cleaner.
While most people are keen to switch out their traditional cleaning products for more environmentally friendly alternatives, some fear formulas without chemicals are ineffective at shifting dirt and germs. After testing out the products in this round-up, we can assure you that quite the opposite is true.
We set out on a mission to find some of the best eco-friendly products that will get the job done without damaging the earth. We studied ingredients lists to avoid solutions with harmful toxins and chemicals, checked the packaging to find reusable or recyclable options, and put their cleaning performance to the test on even some of the ghastliest grime. It is time to clean up your act, literally.
The best eco cleaning products for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Vermont Soap castile liquid soap, tea tree: £9.75, Liveinthelight.co.uk
- Best for cleaning in a hurry – Cheeky Panda bamboo anti-bacterial surface wipes: £5.99, Uk.cheekypanda.com
- Best budget buy – Ecozone soap nuts: £6.99, Ecozonedirect.com
- Best fabric conditioner – Kinn eco-friendly fabric conditioner, neroli: £5.95, Kinn-living.com
- Best for sparkling surfaces – Smol surface sprays: £10, Smolproducts.com
- Best for shifting grease and grime – Ecover cream cleaner: £1.60, Ecoverdirect.com
- Best cleaning cloth – Liga lobster and seaweed eco dishcloths: £6.95, Loveliga.co.uk
- Best washing up liquid – Method green tea and citrus washing-up liquid: £3, Sainsburys.co.uk
- Best eco sponge – Beldray eco cellulose sponge: £2.17, Amazon.co.uk
- Best toilet cleaner – Bio-D toilet cleaner: £2.45, Biod.co.uk
- Best multi-tasking set – Delphis Eco home hero bundle box: £21.84, Delphiseco.com
- Best laundry detergent – Tru Earth eco-strips: £13.99, Truearth.uk
- Best floor cleaner – Bower Collective floor cleaner with linseed soap refill: £4.49, Bowercollective.com
- Best for crystal clear windows – Tincture London glass, mirror, steel tincture: £4.99, Tincturelondon.com