We would all love to find the time to read more, but it can be hard to find new books and new authors to fall in love with. So what could be better than a book subscription box?
These monthly packages do all the leg work for you, all you need to do is select your favourite genre anywhere between feminist fiction and YA novels, then sit back and wait for the perfect book to arrive on your doorstep. They make the perfect present too, especially for someone who seems to have everything or anyone whose taste you may be unsure of.
Most also add reading-related extras such as bookmarks or postcards and invites to exclusive author Q&As or online discussions to chat about the month’s book. Some even include extra treats if you’re looking to really spoil someone, including bars of gourmet chocolate, beauty products and even bottles of wine.
Although some subscriptions concentrate on classic books and bestsellers, most offer the perfect opportunity to discover new titles or authors. In all cases, it’s worth double checking before buying that the company allows you to swap the book if you’re ever sent one you have already read.
Luckily, it’s not necessary to commit to a full year either. Most boxes are available as one-off gifts, rolling subscriptions or shorter plans of three or six months. It’s a great way to try a subscription first before you commit to a longer plan to make sure the books appeal. In nearly all cases, rolling subscriptions and one-off boxes work out slightly more expensive than longer-term subscriptions so we have included the cheapest possible price in our results, usually for a 12-month plan.
How we tested
We ripped open the packaging on all sorts of book subscription boxes and got stuck into reading. For each one, we judged the choice of books, the extra insights offered into the work or author, the subscription’s flexibility, price and any extra treats included in the box. Most of all, we considered if we’d be thrilled to receive the box as a present and if it was something we’d look forward to receiving every month. Read on to find out more...
The best book subscription boxes for 2022 are:
- Best overall book subscription box – Happily Ever After Book Box book and pamper subscription box: £15 per month, Happilyeverafterbookbox.co.uk
- Best book subscription box for relaxing – Tea Time Bookshop bestseller book subscription box: From £13.99 per month, Teatimebookshop.co.uk
- Best book subscription box for wine lovers – Words With Wine monthly wine and book subscription box: £25 per month, Wordswithwine.co.uk
- Best online book club – Rare Birds book club: From £14 per month, Rarebirdsbooks.com
- Best book subscription box for treating someone – Bookishly classics revisited book and chocolate subscription box: £18 per month, Bookishly.co.uk
- Best book subscription box for feminist authors – The Feminist Book Box subscription: From £20 per month, Thefeministbookbox.com
- Best book subscription box for wow factor – The Travelling Reader book subscription box: £34.99 per month, Thetravellingreader.com
- Best book subscription box for teens – A Box of Stories young adult book subscription box: From £24.99 a month, Aboxofstories.com