Shall we tell you the reasons why we love Cocktails by Mail? Buckle up, folks, because it’s a long list.
Hands up if you love drinking a fabulous cocktail at home? Now, hands up if you love all the faff involved in making them – investing in the pricey kit, stocking up on the niche bitters and liqueurs, negotiating freezer space to make room for endless bags of ice..?
Yeah, we thought so. Unless you’re a professional bartender, you probably don’t get half as much pleasure out of shaking up a cocktail as you do in sipping one. But there is another way: the letterbox cocktail. These premixed liquid masterpieces take the pain away.
Crafted in advance by people who actually know what they’re doing and then delivered to your door, they remove the need for skill and the obligation to purchase countless ingredients. They deliver maximum taste in a tiny bundle of joy and all you need to provide is the glassware.
Letterbox cocktails don’t require much planning either. Pop them from the fridge or freezer and presto – Friday sundowner hour is sorted faster than you can say “on the rocks”. It sure beats batch-making party margaritas from scratch (have you ever tried squeezing two dozen limes in one go?).
What’s more, they make great gifts too. Whether you want to send some off to a friend as a birthday gift or use them as a sippable “hooray” for your cousin’s engagement, letterbox cocktails are an easy and classy way to celebrate. Given some kits come with pre-prepared garnishes to get you in the mood, the drinks are often as pretty as you’d get in a bar, too.
How we tested
We looked specifically for bartender-worthy pours – they had to feel like proper cocktails (Pimm’s in a tin didn’t count). Then, we tasted: our best letterbox cocktails all had to be next-level delicious, and be fairly priced. We served each one to its package instructions, chilling accordingly and using the appropriate glassware and garnishes. We awarded extra points for innovative flavours and to companies that operate sustainably. These are the ones that really shake things up...
The best letterbox cocktails for 2022:
- Best overall letterbox cocktails – Cocktails by Mail the birthday pack: From £36, Cocktailsbymail.co.uk
- Best letterbox cocktails subscription service – The Drinks Drop monthly subscription: £40, Thedrinksdrop.com
- Best letterbox cocktails for old fashioneds – Kocktail the old fashioned collection: £39, Kocktail.co.uk
- Best letterbox cocktails for daiquiris – NIO Cocktails casa del daiquiri cocktail box: £42, Niococktails.co.uk
- Best letterbox cocktails for negronis – Cocchi negroni in a box: £8.25, Thewhiskeyexchange.com
- Best non-alcoholic letterbox cocktails – Savyll bon vivant collection: £11.99, Savyll.com
- Best letterbox cocktails for pornstar martini – Soho Street Cocktails pornstar martini: £28.99, Sohostreetcocktails.com
- Best single bar offering letterbox cocktails – Map Maison map lab premium bottled cocktails: £55, Redletterdays.co.uk