When it comes to running, nothing is more important than finding the right shoe that fits comfortably and will help you to avoid any unwanted niggles or injuries while working on your running goals.
Nike remains the biggest fitness brand in the world, with products and athletes across every sport you can think of, but running has always been right at its heart – after all, Nike was founded back in 1964 by University of Oregon track athlete Phil Knight and Olympic running coach Bill Bowerman.
The pair experimented with new running shoe designs, and that desire to create and innovate trainers that help runners to go faster and further has been at the heart of Nike ever since.
Yet with such a vast array of shoes for every kind of runner, it can be a bit of a minefield to figure out which trainer is best for you. Do you want an everyday running shoe or something for race day? For road running or hitting the trails? Soft and supportive or springy and neutral?
We put some of Nike’s most popular running-specific trainers to the test, looking at cushioning, stability, durability and speed. So whether you’ve just decided to start Couch to 5k or you’re lacing up in preparation for your sixth marathon, we’ll help you choose the right pair (or maybe even “pairs”) of running shoes to suit your mileage, preferred fit and run surface.
How we tested
For our most recent round of testing, conducted in spring 2022, we took a fresh look at the newest models Nike has to offer. We tried the following trainers on runs between five and 18km, on pavements and trails, slow recovery runs and speedy tempo sessions. We looked at each of the shoe’s cushioning and ability to absorb impact, their fit, level of support, responsiveness, weight and style.
The best Nike trainers for 2022 are:
- Best overall – Nike air zoom pegasus 38: £109.95, Sportsshoes.com
- Best for the trails – Nike air zoom terra kiger 8: £124.95, Sportsshoes.com
- Best for marathon race day – Nike air zoom alphafly next%: £269.95, Sportsshoes.com
- Best for chasing PBs – Nike zoomx vaporfly next% 2: £224.95, Sportsshoes.com
- Best for long runs – Nike air zoom vomero 16: £134.95, Nike.com
- Best cushioned shoe – Nike zoomx invincible run flyknit: £164.95, Nike.com
- Best for injury-prone runners – Nike react infinity run flyknit 2: £144.95, Asos.com
- Best for stability – Nike air zoom structure 24: £109.95, Sportsshoes.com