When looking for a trusty SPF lip balm to tick the boxes, you can’t go far wrong by turning to a well-loved suncare brand. This Soltan suncare stick might not be the fanciest option on our roundup and it doesn’t promise anything extra, but it certainly does deliver the goods. It also has a five-star UVA rating – the highest-level protection a suncare product can have.
While we might slap suncream onto our faces and rub it into our bodies, one part that often gets forgotten about are the lips.
The skin on our lips is actually thinner and more delicate than on the rest of the body, yet many of us are guilty of leaving it unprotected in the sun.
Step in SPF lip balm, the product to chuck into your beach bag alongside a bottle of your favourite sunscreen. Just like the SPF creams, sprays and oils that we use elsewhere on our body, this type of lip balm is designed to protect the skin on our lips against UVA and UVB rays.
SPF lip balms often contain a host of moisturising ingredients too, so that they can address any chapping and dryness alongside the much-needed sun protection.
Whether you’re partial to a hint of colour or prefer something simple and unscented, then luckily there is a wide range of options on offer. Here’s our list of the SPF lip balms worth a space in your bag or pocket this summer.
How we tested
Over a number of months, we tried a range of SPF lip balms to see which delivered the best experience while still offering protection. From the scent, application and formula to the packaging, price and sun care performance, we looked at the full offering of each product.
All of those selected were tried in various situations – under lipstick, on the beach, on day-to-day errands – and the staying power and ease of reapplication of each was also noted.
The best SPF lip balms for 2022 are:
- Best SPF lip balm overall – Soltan Active lip suncare stick SPF 30, 5g: £9.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best luxury SPF lip balm – Trish McEvoy beauty booster lip balm SPF 15, 5.67g: £24, Libertylondon.com
- Best budget SPF lip balm – Palmer’s cocoa butter formula original ultra moisturising lip balm with SPF 15, 4g: £2.25, Boots.com
- Best tinted SPF lip balm – Perricone MD no makeup lipstick SPF 15, 4.2g: £18, Lookfantastic.com
- Best plastic-free SPF lip balm – Sol De Ibiza lip balm SPF 15, 5g: £11, Contentbeautywellbeing.com
- Best mineral SPF lip balm – Moo Goo edible lip balm SPF 15, 5g: £3.90, Hollandandbarrett.com
- Best high-SPF lip balm – SunSense lip balm SPF 50+, 15g: £4.79, Chemist-4-u.com
- Best scented SPF lip balm – BaliBody coconut lip balm SPF 15, 15ml: £12.95, Balibodyco.com
- Best soothing SPF lip balm – Dr Organic aloe vera SPF 15 lip balm, 5.7ml: £3.99, Sephora.co.uk
- Best plumping SPF lip balm – Skin in Motion plump it SPF 30 tinted lip balm, 15ml: £17, Skininmotion.com