Robust, reliable and easy to use, this trimmer from Remington is beautifully designed to sit comfortably and securely in the hand, while the angle of the head means you can reach all the bits you need to without problems.
Ever since man first fashioned tools to trim his stubble he’s been moulding, shaping and crafting it into different shapes and designs in an effort to express his own individuality.
The perfect way to make a style statement, facial hair is free, self-renewing and can be changed within minutes to reflect your mood. With the help of a decent beard trimmer you can create a look that’s cool and contemporary, mean and moody or lumberjack rugged. It can make baby faces look older, hide a multitude of sins (or chins) and can even be sculpted to accentuate cheekbones and emphasise jawlines.
But whilst facial hair is low maintenance it’s not no maintenance. Like garden hedges, beards tend to look best when neatly pruned, so a good trimmer is essential.
When buying one, think about the length you’re likely to want your beard as some are better suited to short styles and designer stubble. You should also consider how often you’ll be using them and take a good look at battery time – a once a week tidy for a full beard won’t require as much juice as the regular maintenance of shorter, neater styles.
Think too about whether you’ll use the trimmer elsewhere – multi-functional tools that trim hair, beards and body hair will save you money. And if definition is important always make sure they have a decent edging blade.
How we tested
When road-testing each beard trimmer we took everything from cutting length options and how easily adjustable the clippers were to performance, precision and battery time. It helped that our tester has had a beard for over 20 years. How they felt in the hand was important too but top of our list was how well they sliced through facial hair. As ever, we had a beady eye on price and value for money too.
The best beard trimmers in 2022 are:
- Best overall – Remington barba MB320C beard trimmer: £19.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best for short styles and stubble – Barbarossa Brothers electric head and body hair clippers: £49.99, Barbarossabrothers.com
- Best multifunctional beard trimmer – Panasonic ER-CKN1 multishape modular personal care system: £69.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best for precision contouring – Philips oneblade pro for face: £59.99, Boots.com
- Best for battery time – Remington T-series hair and beard kit: £56.66, Very.co.uk
- Best digital trimmer – BaByliss superstubble XTP beard trimmer: £63.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best value for money – Braun beard trimmer 3 BT3221: £19.99, Boots.com