Let’s be honest, it’s always easy to tell who the well rested among us are – the bundles of energy and noticeable absence of under-eye bags are a clear giveaway.
But while there are a lot of factors that can affect how we sleep, none is more important than temperature. That’s why silk pyjamas are a luxe, yet smart, choice for the serious sleeper. Silk is anti-irritating and allows your body to retain moisture which can prevent you from overheating at night – so you can pull in that one leg you always stick out the side.
Not only does it feel great against your skin, silk also has anti-ageing properties. Containing a natural protein, as well as amino acids, this fabric helps trick the nervous system into relaxing, which helps smooth out fine lines and wrinkles.
With this in mind, it’s no wonder that silk pillowcases are becoming a must-have accessory for bed time. But we think it’s also worth going that one step further and investing in some silky jammies too.
How we tested
We’ve rigorously tested – read: spent many nights snoozing – in some of the best silk sleepwear on the market, and we’ve charted the best of the best below. We were looking for pyjama sets that were obviously comfortable, but that also helped control our body temperature on muggy, mild, and cold nights.
It’s worth noting that, during our research, we discovered there iss an inclusivity issue when it comes to silk pyjamas. Besides a select few brands catering to those who wear UK18+ (hello, Karen Mabon), most brands don’t cater to bodies above a UK16 or even a UK12 in some cases. But we sincerely hope that fashion brands will continue to improve this across the board.
The best silk pyjamas sets for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Ghost Alice silk PJ set: £179, Ghost.co.uk
- Best for size inclusivity – Karen Mabon’s midnight tiger silk pyjama set: £160, Coggles.com
- Best sustainable option – Charlotte Dunn ‘silk’ cami short set character edition: £110, Charlottedunndesign.com
- Best for vegans – Fox & Taylor eco vegan silk serenity pyjama set: £55, Foxandtaylor.co
- Best budget buy– Karen Millen silk lounge top: £18, Karenmillen.com
- Best shorts set – Ethical Kind organic peace silk camisole and shorts set: £360, Ethicalkind.com
- Best for chic sleepwear – The White Company silk piped pyjama set: £189, Thewhitecompany.com