Recycling as much of our waste as possible has never been more important, but it’s a process that often gets neglected amidst the business of our everyday lives – which is precisely why a decent kitchen recycling bin is so important.
Ten years ago, this type of bin was rarely a thing of beauty – more often than not they’d be constructed from concrete-grey slabs of plastic best hidden away in the darkest corners of our kitchen, making it all too easy to neglect our recycling responsibilities.
But now? Kitchen recycling bins have been given a huge overhaul, with sleek, tactile designs which aren’t just easy to use but which can take pride of place in the most stylish of homes. So, without further ado, let’s bring on the bins...
How we tested
Despite living in a two-person household, we get through a surprisingly large amount of rubbish of all types, although we’re also avid recyclers, so testing recycling bins for kitchens was a (albeit slightly pongy, at times) breeze. We developed a whole new appreciation for pedal mechanisms and bin liner rims, and spent more time than we care to remember inserting and removing liners of all shapes and sizes.
In short, you can rest assured we put every single bin through its paces. Our priorities were ease of use, appearance and the bin’s ability to blend in – our pet hates include clanging lids and awkward shapes, none of which blighted our bin testing session on this occasion, thank goodness.
The best kitchen recycling bins for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Dunelm 16l low recycling bin, charcoal: £30, Dunelm, Dunelm.com
- Best for larger homes – Black + Decker 40l soft close recycling pedal bin: £69.99, Robertdyas.co.uk
- Best for delicate floors – Eko round open top 5/5 litre recycling bin: £45, Dunelm.com
- Best for sleek styling – Dunelm sage green recycling bathroom bin: £22, Dunelm.com
- Best for colour coordination – Brabantia sort and go recycling bin: £49.95, Brabantia.com
- Best for smooth opening – Addis 7l composter and recycler: £39.99, Addis.co.uk
- Best for versatility – Next set of 3 geo kitchen recycling bags: £20, Next.co.uk
- Best for a vintage look – Bock 12 litre swing top multi-compartments rubbish & recycling bin: £23.13, Wayfair.co.uk
- Best for small spaces – Brabantia newicon stainless steel 4 litre step on multi-compartments rubbish and recycling bin: £29.99, Wayfair.co.uk
- Best for accessibility – Eko oli-cube open top bin: £39.99, Ekohome.co.uk
- Best for sustainability – Orthex SmartStore: £89.99, Lakeland.co.uk