The White Company is renowned for its luxury bedroom and home goods, and its baby range is just as lovely as the rest. We loved this blanket for its neutral, soft and warm but breathable features. We liked that the patchwork design added detail with white intarsia stars and different textured knits. We used the blanket in our pram on a cooler day as well as on the sofa for supervised daytime naps.
Aside from the other essentials like nappies, monitors, and toys, a baby blanket is usually high up on a parent’s wish list. They make fabulous gifts, but the problem is that the choices – which range from beautiful heirloom pieces right through to easily-washable muslin squares – are endless.
Luckily, we’ve done the hard work for you. However, we suggest you start by looking at functionality and versatility. Can it be used as a mat for playtime, or as a handy burp cloth? Can you play a little game of peek-a-boo with it?
Additionally, you should consider the time of year that you’re buying. A thicker blanket may be best in winter, particularly if using in your baby’s pram, while, during the hotter months, a thinner cellular or light muslin may be better suited.
Of course, much like purchasing nursery furniture, there’s also a great deal of personalisation to consider. So, if you are gifting it to a new parent or mum or dad-to-be, it’s best to see whether they’d prefer something neutral or more specific.
A quick word of advice too, according to The Lullaby Trust, babies should never be left unattended with any form of bedding or blanket under one year and their bed space should be clear and empty for safe sleep practice. Keep an eye too on your baby’s temperature. It can be easy to think that babies should be kept very warm, but according to the NHS, an environment between 16C-20C is ideal.
How we tested
We tested several blankets and looked for comfort, versatility, sustainability, longevity, washability, style and of course, price. We used the blankets in different scenarios depending on what we deemed them best for: to keep warm, to keep cool, while nursing, for tummy time and play and also to help decorate a stylish, modern nursery. These are the ones that kept our 10-month-old mini tester snug as a bug.
The best baby blankets for 2022 are:
- Best overall – The White Company star patchwork baby blanket: £42, Thewhitecompany.com
- Best for comfort – Bedfolk soft touch cuddle blanket: £35, Bedfolk.com
- Best for sustainability – Turtle Doves cashmere blanket: £65, Turtle-doves.co.uk
- Best for beautiful prints – Little Dutch cot blanket: £62.95, Yesbebe.co.uk
- Best for multifunctionality – Avery Row merino wool blanket: £68, Avery-row.com
- Best for making a statement – Scamp and Dude blush leopard baby blanket: £25.60, Scampanddude.com
- Best for longevity – Kabode wildlife quilt: £79.95, Kabode.co.uk
- Best for cognitive development – Etta Loves terrazzo knitted blanket: £48, Fenwick.co.uk
- Best for newborns – Happiest Baby organic swaddle blanket: £12.95, Happiestbaby.co.uk
- Best for UK manufacture – The British Blanket Company bumblebee merino lambswool baby blanket: £45.99, Thebritishblanketcompany.com
- Best as a hand-me-down – Forivor the enchanted forest quilted blanket: £140, Forivor.com