We’re big fans of Orchard Toys, and have rated its games highly in articles on the best developmental toys for children and best gifts for five-year-olds. This penguin pairs game is a mini offering, making it ideal for a stocking as well as great for taking on road trips, visits to the grandparents and holidays.
Anyone who’s been around a child on Christmas morning will know that cries of “Santa’s been” could start any time from 4am, as excitement levels are so high.
What the Santa in your household puts in each stocking will set the tone for the rest of the day, so, not only is it important to include a few items to make them smile and giggle, but to include items that occupy their attention, so they can play with them while you get dressed and sort yourself out for the festive lunch.
Here are some fun and useful ideas for mini treats to evoke squeals of glee even before they’ve reached the big pile of gifts under the tree.
How we tested
With the help of five children ranging in age from 1 to 13, we tested each stocking filler for entertainment value, by having a mega play session. We measured the wow factor by looking at the child’s face as they picked up the toy, then watched to see how long they played with it before picking up another.
What we were really after was something that was affordable, small in size but capable of causing a big smile on a child’s face, either immediately or as they explored its features. We were keen on eco-friendly options and things already assembled, as losing a small plastic part in the chaos of Christmas morning is no fun but can happen easily. Here are the stocking fillers that sparkled…
The best stocking fillers for kids and teenagers in 2023 are:
- Best stocking fillers overall – Orchard Toys penguin pairs game: £5.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best puzzle stocking filler – Smart Games plug & play ball: £10, Amazon.co.uk
- Best stocking filler under £5 – Lego Super Mario character pack: £4.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best stocking filler for young kids – Mori wooden bunny push-along toy: £12.50, Babymori.com
- Best stocking filler for teenagers – Nails.inc Percy Pigs scented nail polish duo: £15, Marksandspencer.com