From knitted mid-century polos to patterned shirts so intricately decorated you’ll want to hang them on your wall, the range of quality summer shirt options out there is a veritable minefield, albeit one that presents itself with many an opportunity to stay stylish through the impending heat.
First considerations must go towards occasion, and the fit is important here – slimmer fits and longer sleeves are naturally smarter than the more casual boxy fits that have been a catwalk staple in recent seasons.
Print is another defining characteristic of this modern summer shirting era, but it needs to be styled with care and balanced out by keeping the shirt a focal point, matched with dark, neutral-colour bottoms. Smaller prints also tend to ring more formal, which is something to bear in mind if you’re looking to pair your patterned shirt with a suit – an A-list style move if ever there was one.
Finally, there’s fabric, which is often the difference between keeping calm and cool and, well, sweat patches. Linen has long been the summer fabric champion, but it is being caught up by more recent inventions, tencel and viscose.
So, ready to take on the minefield? Start here with our tried-and-tested guide to the best shirts for summer.
How we tested
Versatility, quality and price were just some of the things we looked at when judging where these summer shirts sat on this list. How comfortable they are to wear in warmer weather was, of course, essential.
We also tried to cover all bases when it came to both style and occasion, checking off the main summer shirt styles, while also building a rotation that would see you through the majority of the social engagements summer holds.
The best summer shirts for men for 2022 are:
- Best overall – Scotch & Soda short sleeved shirt: £125, Scotch-soda.com
- Best for evenings – Mango striped shirt: £49.99, Mango.com
- Best patterned shirt – Sirplus japanese minka cuban shirt: £125, Sirplus.co.uk
- Best knit – King & Tuckfield long sleeve knitted shirt: £265, Kingandtuckfield.com
- Best for post-pool lounging – Weekday austin terry shirt: £35, Weekday.com
- Best on the high street – M&S geometric print shirt: £35, Marksandspencer.com
- Best for a slimmer fit – Reiss caspa jersey cuban collar shirt: £68, Reiss.com
- Best for skatewear style – Dickies kelso short sleeve shirt: £55, Dickieslife.com