Since its 2016 launch, Beauty Pie has democratised the beauty industry, selling high-quality products to its subscribers for a monthly or annual fee, for wholesale prices – read our review of its products in our guide.
Body scrubs can be a quick and easy way to achieve softer, smoother skin. There’s also no shortage of options to shop either, from high-end to high-street brands, some costing upwards of £40, while others can set you back less than a tenner.
The exfoliating agents in scrubs can range from manual ingredients such as sugar crystals, sea salt and microbeads, which give skin a short-term smoothness and rinse-off exfoliation, while others are fortified with chemical exfoliants such as glycolic and lactic acid to address dry skin in the long-term. Just like the skin on your face, gentle exfoliation can add luminosity, prevent a build-up of dead skin and ingrown hairs, and improve texture.
However, aside from sloughing away dead skin cells, body scrubs can also leave skin silky soft, thanks to formulas rich in coconut, jojoba, sunflower and primrose oils, to name just a few ingredients. As much as they can be a functional part of your shower routine, they’re also a luxurious indulgence and perfect for a bit of TLC.
They can also reduce razor bumps and keratosis pilaris – the latter is also commonly known as strawberry skin, where small bumps emerge on skin when hair follicles become blocked with a build-up of keratin – so if you regularly shave, it’s a good idea to keep a scrub close by. While it’s not necessary to use a body scrub every day, we’d recommend applying once to twice a week, and following up with a body moisturiser for baby soft skin.
Given the number of body scrubs on the market, we set about finding the top-performing products worth your money.
How we tested
Over the course of a month, we introduced a series of scrubs to our shower routine and narrowed down our list to the top eight. We explored the grittiness of each, how they felt on the skin, how our skin felt afterwards and value for money.
The best body scrubs for 2022 are:
- Best overall – Beauty Pie soul providers re-energizing dry oil sugar scrub: £50, Beautypie.com
- Best for oily skin – Keys Soulcare body polish: £25, Harrods.com
- Best multi-purpose scrub – Ouai scalp and body scrub: £32, Cultbeauty.com
- Best for fake-tanning prep – Soap & Glory smoothie star body scrub: £9.95, Boots.com
- Best scented scrub – Sol de Janeiro bum bum body scrub: £39, Spacenk.com
- Best value – Sanctuary Spa signature natural oils salt scrub: £16, Boots.com
- Best luxury scrub – Tropic body smooth refreshing polish: £24, Tropicskincare.com
- Best budget scrub – Superdrug vitamin E sugar oil body scrub: £5.99, Superdrug.com