This chic rug comes in an array of sizes and colours. We sampled the coral shade in 150cm x 215cm, which added plentiful rug coverage in a small lounge. The ornate pattern features a border and inner design with blue tones too, and we found it added a luxurious-looking element to our living room.
Rugs provide a quick and easy way of updating your living space without overhauling the entire room. A runner or rug can add a pop of colour, pattern and a layer of texture to any room, should you be looking to refresh a bedroom, lounge, hallway or other area in the home.
The only downside can be that rugs often pick up dirt, and you may notice this even more if there are pets in your household. Even with the best intentions and strictest house rules, our cherished rugs and carpets will inevitably suffer the odd nasty stain from accidental spills and mishaps.
Not only that, deep-pile rugs in particular can gather dust, which can cause them to dull over time. Enter: the washable rug – a relatively new concept that, thanks to increasingly clever technology and materials, is really catching on, particularly among parents and pet owners.
By its very nature, a washable rug needs to be thin and malleable enough to gather up and throw into the machine, and so you’ll find that most have a particularly slim profile with little depth. Some brands get around this cleverly with a separate base that stays put, while the top layer easily detaches.
While washable rugs are rarely plush like their conventional counterparts, what they lack in texture they make up for in staying fresh. They’re also a much more affordable option than a traditional wool rug.
If you have wood or tiled flooring, look for a rug that comes complete with a non-slip, grippy backing. It’s worth noting, too, that while washable rugs can withstand a machine cycle, typically up to 40C, those with a rubbery backing cannot be tumble dried.With that mind, we’ve sampled a selection, to help inspire your interiors shopping. Keep scrolling to see the practical picks on our list.
How we tested
We put a range of washable rugs to the test with two kids and a muddy-puddle-loving spaniel in the house, ensuring we followed the care instructions of each one to the letter. All the rugs in our round-up washed well, with stains disappearing and their shape maintained after drying. Read on for our full review of the best washable rugs to buy.
The best washable rugs for 2023 are:
- Best overall – Ruggable kamran coral rug: £249, Ruggable.co.uk
- Best for cosy bedrooms – Lorena Canals tribu washable rug in olive: From £89, Scandiborn.co.uk
- Best for kids’ rooms – Caimas Collection washable rug in black: £34.90, The-rugs.com
- Best sheepskin rug – Nature’s Collection sheepskin rug, small short wool: £129, Heals.com
- Best soft rug – Dunelm practirug Gabriella washable rug in red: £85, Dunelm.com
- Best deep-pile rug – Buddy washable plain rug in ivory: From £34.99, Therugseller.co.uk
- Best Persian-style rug – Well woven flatweave green rug: £92.99, Wayfair.co.uk
- Best for a quick refresh – Jackie and the fish chaos blue divide thin washable rug: £139, Landofrugs.com
- Best washable runner – Next washable geo runner: £22, Next.co.uk