A relatively new breed of lipsticks, the liquid lipstick, is a firm favourite product in our make-up bags. And with mega-brands such as Kylie Cosmetics, Fenty, Chanel, Dior and Huda Beauty all offering new formulas, colours and finishes, it’s hard to know which one to pick.
Known for their long-lasting coverage and high pigmentation, many people opt for a liquid lippy over their much older solid counterparts. Unlike your regular roll-up lipstick, these versions come in a long tube with an applicator similar to a lip gloss, making them a sort of hybrid.
But, with options from matte and satin finishes to high gloss, lip stains, lip paint and even a swanky collagen lip bath from Charlotte Tilbury (£25, Charlottetilbury.com), it’s enough to confuse both lipstick newbies and make-up masters alike.
Luckily, we at IndyBest tried all of the options we could get our hands on, from bargain beauty buys to luxury lipstick options, and have rounded up the best of the bunch.
How we tested
There are only a few things we require from a liquid lipstick: longevity, high pigment and for it not to dry our lips up into a wrinkly prune-like state. So, we took each lipstick out for a good full day test drive where eating, drinking, talking and occasionally mask-wearing all were on the cards. And, of course, at the end of each day, we needed it to come off, so the Super Facialist cleansing oil was the remover of choice.
So, whether you’re after a long-lasting lip colour or a budge-proof base, take a look below.
The best liquid lipsticks of 2022 are:
- Best overall – Fenty Beauty stunna lip paint: £22, Boots.com
- Best long-lasting – Elf glossy lip stain: £6, Elfcosmetics.co.uk
- Best budget buy – Collection Cosmetics perfection matte liquid lipstick: £3.99, Superdrug.com
- Best for luxury lovers – Chanel rouge allure ink: £31, Boots.com
- Best satin finish – Revlon colourstay satin ink: £9.99, Lookfantastic.com
- Best multi-use lipstick – Tropic lipstain: £14, Tropicskincare.com
- Best for hydration – Charlotte Tilbury collagen lip bath: £25, Charlottetilbury.com
- Best value for money – The Body Shop speak up vinyl lip gloss: Was £8, now £6.40, Thebodyshop.com
- Best matte finish – No7 matte liquid lips: Was £10.95, Boots.com
- Best for clean beauty connoisseurs – Westerman Atelier squeaky clean liquid lip balm: £35, Cultbeauty.co.uk
- Best everyday liquid lipstick – Max Factor colour elixir soft matte liquid lipstick: £9.99, Boots.com
- Best for easy application – Dior rouge Dior forever matte liquid lipstick: £32, Selfridges.com
- Best red liquid lipstick – Huda Beauty Lunar New Year 2022 liquid matte lipstick: Buy now £18, Selfridges.com