It’s not just our tester who fell madly in love with this balm – it’s one that many fellow beauty editors love (and have used right up to the last squeeze) too. The vegan formula is buttery but not greasy, and is packed with shea and murumuru butter alongside plant-based waxes that work to deeply hydrate lips. It adds a slight sheen but nothing too obvious, and it smells delicious. We also loved that it’s available in either a clear formula or a slightly tinted, sheer beige shade. Plus, the tube is now made with bio-resin and has an applicator tip which makes applying on the go even easier.
There are two types of people in this world: those who have multiple lip balms on the go at once (and who’ll probably find one in every bag, drawer and pocket) and those who are yet to become reliant on them.
Whether or not you’re a self-confessed balm addict, there’s no denying that it’s worth having at least one in your arsenal.
After the delicate eye area, the skin on our lips is among the thinnest on the whole body, and so it’s important to keep it as hydrated as possible. And that’s even more important during the winter months – not least because having dry, chapped lips can be uncomfortable at best and painfully sore at worst.
So, to help solve that issue and to ensure lips stay plump and nourished all year round, we’ve pulled together a list of some of the best products out there.
How we tested
We used these lip balms as per the instructions. Some were applied a couple of times a day (mostly after eating or drinking) or with our tester’s make-up as necessary, while others were applied liberally at bedtime to allow them to do their best work through the night. We used each for a minimum of a week.
The best lip balms for 2023 are:
- Best overall – Summer Fridays lip butter balm: £23, Cultbeauty.co.uk
- Best overnight treatment – Esho coat: £21.89, Feelunique.com
- Best lip mask – BareMinerals phyto-retinol lip mask: £25, Boots.com
- Best for variety – Glossier balm dotcom: £10, Glossier.com
- Best for hydration – Nuxe ultra-nourishing lip balm: £13, Nuxe.com
- Best SPF lip balm – Ultrasun SPF30 ultra lip balm: £8, Amazon.com
- Best for chapped lips – Avène cicalfate restorative lip cream: £8.49, Superdrug.com
- Best tinted lip balm – Mac glow play lip balm: £20, Maccosmetics.co.uk